585,670 active members*
4,143 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Best CNC controller

You don't understand. normal machine controls have a way to tell it how close it follows the programmed path. You don't have to guess. You don't have to slow the machine down if it doesn't follow the path.. you tell the machine what your path following tolerance is - it slows down when it needs to to follow the path. There is no guessing.. Hmm - I should slow this down so this feature machines correctly.. That is just scary!

Maybe this will help get my point across...

https://youtu.be/KoMtTx_7Q4k

Hi,
    and you don't understand me either, what I'm saying is that Mach attempts to maintain the highest speed possible, up to the programmed max speed, while deviating from the true
    toolpath less than some user determined number. The better the acceleration the higher that speed can be maintained throughout the entire toolpath. Mach already slows as is necessary
    to get around a corner within the deviation specification and has done so for twenty years. In the early days it was determined by the settings in the angle table, but was not easy to understand
    and therefore guarantee some maximum deviation. These days it is determined by a tolerance.

I specify a tolerance and Mach will go as fast as it can up to my max cutting speed while maintaining the tolerance or better.If my machine is capable of higher accelerations it can do the job faster
    and within tolerance because the acceleration allows better toolpath following.

Mach has been doing what you have described since I started with it 15 years ago, although back then it was not nearly as easy to see the results of the settings.

Craig

Let's have some clarity.

With the NC program, you define the path for the tool to run.

The CNC control, once it has transduced the NC commands into movements of the joints (physical axes) will execute a module called Look-ahead.

The purpose of the Look-ahead is to evaluate for each instant of the interpolated point path which velocity vectors to apply to the various axes, all while taking into account the set feed and the characteristics of acceleration, maximum axis speed.

The purpose of the look-ahead is also to keep the speed of the interpolated point TCP as close as possible to what is programmed via the F parameter and to manage the speed adjustment in conjunction with the deviation of the 3D or 5D direction verse.

In the CNCs, path optimization parameters can also be set, in the case of, for example, acute angles, direction changes, etc.

These act by slightly modifying the path, thus reducing direction changes in parts with "sharp" angles.

They usually apply a small Bezier curve or a simple arc, but these are always very small changes, which, however, allow keeping the speed of the interpolated point higher.

Also in that compartment Jerk control is applied, which softens and reduces the acceleration derivative of the interpolated point, greatly decreasing vibration and mechanical stress.

Usually the path corrections due to the look-ahead stage, of smooth handling are negligible.

If then the axes due to a matter of acceleration parameters and maximum velocity cannot hold the set speed F all that happens is that the Look-Ahead adjusts the speed of the interpolated point to the maximum possible value and the CNC will go slower but will not change its path.

I think we're confused because this statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    If however I dial up too much speed the machine cannot go around the corners fast enough and my circuit board degrades
    Seems to be contradicting this one:

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    I specify a tolerance and Mach will go as fast as it can up to my max cutting speed while maintaining the tolerance or better.
    If it will slow down to maintain the tolerence, it shouldn't matter how much you dial up the speed you should get a part within tolerance regardless. The controller should never allow the speed and accelerations settings to cause the prescribed toolpath to deviate from the prescribed tolerance.

I stand by my statement that you have no control over the exact path following tolerance in mach...

https://www.machsupport.com/forum/in...7823#msg287823

That is smurf - one of the developers..

Again - Acceleration should have no effect on how well the control follows the programmed path.. You should be able to tell the cnc control how accurate you want it to follow programmed path. The control then should slow down to keep the tool within your desired tolerance.

machine is rounding corners too much. I scrapped the part.

slow it down

how much?

until you don't scrap a part?

Think of rather large machining centers that have undersized servos and high mass. They cannot accelerate at a high rate. Just run it slower? I would like my chip load to be the best it can be - that might be 100ipm.. But I have to slow it down so it makes the corner? Or even a profiling cut - made of short line segments..

sam

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Hi, I a home hobby user, no revenue, just for fun home shop projects. I have an old Bridgeport BOSS 5 that was setup with Mach 3 with an Ethernet Smooth Stepper. I have a 4th access rotary table and I'm currently using Clearpath motors. I need probing, Some Conversational programming as well as be able to POST from Fusion 360. I used Mach 3 for many years, but I purchased a addon from a third party that offered improved screens and probing routines. Well this third party company went out or stopped supporting the product so the activation server went down. After a PC crash and not being able to recover my environmnet due to the copy protection, I got the bright idea to move to Linux CNC and go open source and I won't have to worry about copy protection or some activation server being inaccessable. I got a Mesa card, but as much as I want to like Linux & Linux CNC, I don't and as a result my machine has been offline for over a year. I got distracted by other things and now I'm kind of starting over as I don't remember where I left off or where my problems even where. It's a home shop that earns no money at all so I don't want to spend a fortune, but price is NOT really my primary concern. I'm looking for a system that Is reliable and I'll be happy with in the long run. Something that if it sits for 6 months I'll be able to fire it up and expect it to work and easy enough to operate that I'll remember how to use it. Also something that I can expect to last many years and be able to get replacement parts or upgrades long term. I'm faced with several options. Go back to Mach 3 & ESS, Upgrade to Mach 4, Tough it out and get Linux CNC working, Scrap everything and go to Acorn or Masso. Acorn looks very interesting. The software looks usable, but like it was written in the 80's or 90's. It's still seems way more intuitive than Linux CNC. The Masso solution looks a bit nicer, but all proprietary hardware, so I have concerns on replacement parts in the future.

What do you think?
    Hi,
    I have not read all the post, but I use eding CNC controllers on my mahcine, 5axis (xyzbc and 4 axis (gantry + Aaxis : xyza) , and it works great!

Go back to Mach 3 & ESS
    You have Mach3 and the ESS and all the machine HW. Zero cost to try it.

Cheers
    Roger
    (W7, Mach3 .062, ESS, Geckos)

You always need to build on the tasks and the required functionality of the equipment. It doesn't matter if it's electronic or mechanical.

A2Z Latest News

A2Z Latest News delivers a diverse range of news in Hindi, covering various categories. Stay updated with the latest happenings in a language you understand, from different areas of interest. Your go-to source for accessible and comprehensive news updates that matter to you. Visit Website: https://a2zlatestnews.com/

Page 4 of 4 234