585,886 active members*
6,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Converting Anilam to Mach3 - Pixie and Glass Scales

Unhappy Converting Anilam to Mach3 - Pixie and Glass Scales

Hello,
    I'm new to CNC and I'm trying to convert old Crusader M to mach3.
    I have purchased C11 breakout board and (3) Skyko Pixie boards. I believe that I wired it correctly. However when I hook up anilam glass scales to Pixie board axes start to drift untill they trip overtravel switches.
    Any idea why? Can I use glass scales from anilam with Pixie? Any input would be a great help.... Thank you.

If your glass scale linear encoders output ttl level (0v low and 5v high) quadrature signals then the Pixie would not know the difference between a regular rotary encoder and the glass scale linear encoder. They would both look and work the same.

If your axis is drifting, then the problem is most likely noise in your parallel port cable, breakout board, or in the cable from the glass scale linear encoders. All of your cables NEED to be shielded, and you must ground the shield.

i'm needing to convert a supermax mill w anilam servos to mach3 control. how did you figure out the wiring to the drivers? Thanks much, Wayne

czech,

I assume you are using the scales for feedback to the drives. To make life easier for your self get rotary encoders and put them on the motors and start making parts instead of trying to hunt down every glitch and bum.
    Dennis

exactly.. If there is any sort of backlash in the system - it will be almost imposible to tune. The only way around this is only using the scales for postion feedback and having separate encoders/tach on the motors to do velocity feedback. (but mach isn't going to do this)

http://jmkasunich.dyndns.org/cgi-bin...-02-20-08.html

(or just put some encoders on the servos as dennis said)

But - your drifting problem is unrelated to the backlash.. Could it be you have the encoder wires reversed? (this will make the servo run away)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisCNC View Post
    czech,

I assume you are using the scales for feedback to the drives. To make life easier for your self get rotary encoders and put them on the motors and start making parts instead of trying to hunt down every glitch and bum.