585,754 active members*
3,916 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 6M-B, disabling a 4th axis

I have an old Matsuura machine with a 6M-B controller. For years now the Z-Axis VCU has a habit of blowing the main/alarm fuses on the same phase at unpredictable times and getting replacments is getting painful. Particularly for the alarm fuses.

The machine has a forth axis with the same A06B-6045-H005/H006. That forth axis frequently triggers alarms because the plugs for the motor/encoder cables from the bed to the rotary axis are worn and often oil filled.

As it's never used I'd like to just disable the 4th axis and swap the drives around to determine if the drive is at fault.

The fourth axis was supposedly removed intermittently decades ago, whenever more table space was needed but I can't figure out how to do that without telling the machine to ignore all servo alarms.

Is there any simple way of doing this?

Re: Fanuc 6M-B, disabling a 4th axis

There is a parameter #307.6; Disregard signal for fouth axis is effective = 1, Inefective = 0. But it seems to expect an input. There is no switch on the machine. No idea what will happen if I set it to one and there no input attached to the signal.

Re: Fanuc 6M-B, disabling a 4th axis

Unfortunately setting #307.6 = 1 doesn't seem to prevent 4th axis alarms from putting the machine into Not Ready state as soon as the control is enabled. Not sure if it just doesn't work as expected or it's looking for an input.

I fixed the fixed the encoder cable plugs for the 4th axis, but it doesn't clear the OVC alarm on the unused 4th axis drive.

I've tried removing the motor and encoder from, and setting the TGLS alarm enable jumper off, but the OVC alarm still comes on as soon as E-stop is removed.

May be something wrong with the static overcurrent detecting circuit on the PCB. And the Z axis driver seems to have a faulty SCR rectifier. Not looking promising.