585,687 active members*
4,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Marking pen or paint pen that holds up to coolant?

Marking pen or paint pen that holds up to coolant?

I have some fixtures I want to mark - like what parts they are for, number them, mark shelf location or whatever, etc.

I know its common to use stamping punches but that doesn't work so well for small parts, or hardened tooling, and you can't change it later. On the other hand if you use a sharpie you are screwed it later on it wears off with the coolant splashing on it and you no longer know how it's supposed to be set up

Anyone found some sort of paint pen that holds up long term to coolant washing over it? Ideally something that could be removed later with acetone or thinner or something in case you remachine the fixture for a new part.

Hi, you could try nail polish, sticks like sh1t to a blanket and can be taken off with acetone or paint thinners.

It also dries pretty quick and comes with it's own built in brush.
    One of the beauties is the range of colours for colour coding when parts are too small to actually write a size, like the coding used on resistors.

I always check the local chemist shop or drug store for cosmetic cheapies that do the same job.
    Ian.

Try these:

http://www.durablesupply.com/amhd.html

In case the link doesn't take you to the right spot, they are Dykem Tuff Guy Markers.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

what about a tag as well as a paint pen , if you loose one youve still got the other

For permanent marking that is not destructive, there is a pen sold by Production Tool that literally etches black markings into the iron/steel. It is DEFINITEY PERMANENT. I think Pentel makes it.

To remove it, you literally have to abrade it off. It does help to oil it ASAP after marking as if you let it go on its own, the writing gets bigger as the "etching" grows.

Good ideas - thanks folks!

I ended up ordering some of those Dykem Tuff Guy markers - they specifically say they hold up to coolant (synthetic, semi and non-synt) so it looks like they should work. $2.45/ea its so cheap may as well give it a shot!

Nail polish is a good idea but would be a pain to make the letters/numbers I want without making a mess. That etching pen sounds good but I would like to be able to relabel parts without sanding down through it if I needed to ever change things.

Adding a tag is a good idea too - actually I have some real sticky clear labels, maybe I'll stick it over where I mark with pen so I have double insurance.

Great answers guys- thanks!

I think you will like the Dykem markers.

Post your results, would ya? ....for future visitors.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Just to follow up:

I got the markers today from Durable Supply. The guy over there was very nice and although I only ordered 5 markers they showed up quick and he was good at answering my questions - highly recommended.

I tried the markers out and they seem to work very well. The marks can be rubbed off and I am sure acetone would take it off, but short of that it's not gonna come off with just normal handling or from coolant in the machine.

I recommend black or blue. I got those as well as white and red and for some reason the white/red isn't quite as opaque so its harder to see. At $1.75 or so per pen they are economical too.

Thanks for the tip, Scott!