585,931 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Version 22 - License Concerns
Page 1 of 2 12

Version 22 - License Concerns

I just received what I believed was the full version of BobCad CAM 3D milling software. When I say "full version", I am referring to the fact that I asked the salesman if they sold different levels and he told me that "levels" only applied to advanced predator & the lathe module.

I just installed my software (with dongle) and am concerned because I do not have the Z-level rough or finish option. Upon further investigation in Help/License, I am showing only Level 1 of CAD, Mill & Other.

Am I missing something? Why do I not have full 3-axis ability? I was also certain that, per the website, my version would include Predator Simulation (or at least the first level of it)

Thanks.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

You better call him back or call tech support to see what is up.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka308 View Post
    I just received what I believed was the full version of BobCad CAM 3D milling software. When I say "full version", I am referring to the fact that I asked the salesman if they sold different levels and he told me that "levels" only applied to advanced predator & the lathe module.

I just installed my software (with dongle) and am concerned because I do not have the Z-level rough or finish option. Upon further investigation in Help/License, I am showing only Level 1 of CAD, Mill & Other.

Am I missing something? Why do I not have full 3-axis ability? I was also certain that, per the website, my version would include Predator Simulation (or at least the first level of it)

Thanks.
    BobCAD comes in one level for right now
    The Mill Machining has 3 Levels
    Lathe has 1 level
    Predator Virtual CNC has 3 Levels
    and Predator CNC Editor has 2 levels

These different levels are available but will cost extra. Call BCC sales as Tjones suggested and find out what is going on.

BTW: Predator Virtual CNC Level 1 is Extra unless you worked it into your original purchase. Other than that you have the base Predator simulator that can be found in the CAM Tree as follows.

Right click on Milling stock> Verify

A small window will open that you can stretch and start a verification of tool path.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

tikka

the predator does offer more advanced levels of simulation as well as edit.

the cad only offers one level at this time but by adding room to add more levels later on as this new software grows, understand that the 2007 aka. the version 22 from here on out will be our base system meaning anything you buy from now on will work from the version 22.

if you have any other questions please feel free to call me as i am the upgrade sales mngr.
    upgrade mngr./ Brad Chasnoff / www.bobcad.com
    877-262-2231 ext 183/ [email protected]

what are difference in levels like between level1 and level2 to on milling
    i was just looking at there website and i cant seem to find the differences

just wondering because i have level 1 and i want to make sure later on down the road it will do what my v21 would do

John

DGalaxy - I have level 1 too but don't know the differences - so I'm right there with you. Anybody know what the other levels do?

Thanks.
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

answer

the level 1 milling is just 2d on the cam but does have full 3d design capbility on the cad side. the level 2 is our standard 3d package that gives you both 3d design and 3d machining capability. the level 3 is an open level for us to expand and add more capbilty. if you have any questions please feel free to contact me and i will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Brad

I just got my v22 today and am loading it up tonight. I can see that there will be a learning curve ahead, but before I start I want to make sure of what I have. In reading these posts, I'm afraid that I don't have the CAM capability that I had with v21.

In the license window there are checks in level 1 of CAD, MILL, TURN and BOBART. There is nothing in SIMULATION and EDIT/DNC. Does this mean that I won't be able to do the 3D contouring that I did in v21? No simulation or editing?

I've been with BobCAD from the DOS days, but this will be the first time that I will be disappointed in an upgraded. I don't want to waste my time playing with this if it won't do what I need without spending more money.

Thanks for any insight.
    Herman
    Seabrook Machine Company

an old ur

that is incorrect, inside the version 22 it comes with predators base simulation and edit, so yes you can still simulate your parts. in fact you can simulate anything you can generate a toolpath to, including drilling cycles. that is something we have never been able to offer before. the extra levels of edit and simulation are extra add on's for more advanced simulation that are optional. this is a vast improvement over your old dos based software and i am very confident that once you understand the new version you will feel the same.

Brad

Thanks for your quick reply and the information on the edit and simulation. I have had most the versions of BobCAD from somewhere around v12. My biggest concern with this version is 3 axis contouring from solid drawings. Will the level 1 mill package of v22 be a step backwards in this area from what I already have in v21?

Herman
    Seabrook Machine Company

??

if you have level 1 for mill, than that is only 2d and you would need level 2 mill which is 3d. make sure you are not confusing level 1 cad with level 1 mill. if you send me a pm with your phone #, i can look you up in our databse to see exactly what you have.

nevermind

herman you have the level 2 for mill, level 1 for cad, and level 1 for bobart. so you have full 3d capability. so you should be fine. if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call me

Brad

Thanks for the peace of mind. Now I can get down to some serious learning. I'll be looking into the training CD's.

BTW, how do you know this? (Or better, how could I have found this on my own?) The checks in the CAD and Mill boxes on the licence page both say level 1.

Thanks again,
    Herman
    Seabrook Machine Company

herman

i looked up your company name and found your info. that is something i will have to look into, this may be something that was just recently changed that i am unaware of. but after looking at your account i know you have full 3d.

clarification please

Quote Originally Posted by bobcadbrad View Post
    the level 1 milling is just 2d on the cam but does have full 3d design capbility on the cad side. the level 2 is our standard 3d package that gives you both 3d design and 3d machining capability. the level 3 is an open level for us to expand and add more capbilty. if you have any questions please feel free to contact me and i will be more than happy to answer your questions.

Brad,

A small clarification please. With the level one milling is this 2D or 2.5D? Can I cut an angle on the z axis? While on the subject, what is the cost to get to level II?

Hu

i'm not sure

they have changed something on the levels, if you want to e-mail me with your phone number i can look you up and see exactly what you have.

nothing yet . . .

they have changed something on the levels, if you want to e-mail me with your phone number i can look you up and see exactly what you have.
    I'm on the forum doing my homework before buying so I guess I should change my question to, "what capabilities does the basic version of 22 that you are selling now have? Can I cut compound arcs and angles including on the z axis?

Hu

Another thing of interest while you are looking into the changes to these levels is that along with the normal features (CAD, Mill, Turn . . . ) there is one called "Other". My seat shows this as level 1. What would that be?

A detailed explanation of these levels on the BobCAD-CAM website would be a big help to potential buyers. As it is, I have seen no mention of them. The only options shown are the Lathe, Art and Predator packages.

I probably won't get a chance to really dig into this upgrade until after the holiday. The only thing that I see now that I don't like is the lack of a decent manual. V21 came with pretty nice documentation. I was excited to hear that the train CD's were out, but not so much when I found that they list for $400. That's getting close to the price of the upgrade. "Here's your software. Now if you want to know how to use it you'll have to open your wallet again." I don’t think a manual that is more then “getting started” is too much to ask for.

All this whining aside, this looks like a really nice package and I'm looking forward to using it.
    Seabrook Machine Company

ok

the "other" is only a way to allow us to expand the software with future add-ons or products. the training cd's were released and you are right about the price, but on promotion this week with the holidays. we didn't provide a manual due to us adding the context sensitive help built inside the software.

however i can tell you these new training cd's are hopefully, plenty enough to learn this new system.

shootingarts-some 2 and half d work can be accomplished with the just the 2d package, however with what you are doing you would need our 3d software.

Thanks!

Brad,

I appreciate the information.

Thank You,
    Hu

the "other" is only a way to allow us to expand the software with future add-ons or products. the training cd's were released and you are right about the price, but on promotion this week with the holidays. we didn't provide a manual due to us adding the context sensitive help built inside the software.

however i can tell you these new training cd's are hopefully, plenty enough to learn this new system.

shootingarts-some 2 and half d work can be accomplished with the just the 2d package, however with what you are doing you would need our 3d software.

Page 1 of 2 12