584,866 active members*
4,903 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma OSP500L-G rs232 program load problems
Page 1 of 2 12

Okuma OSP500L-G rs232 program load problems

We have just aquired an Okuma OSP500L-G lathe and I am trying to download a program from a laptop. I can receive programs from the lathe to the laptop just fine but can't get the lathe to accept the program from the laptop.
    To download from the lathe, in PIP mode I push the "punch" hot key and type in "CN0:filename.min;I" and then the "write" button, this works fine.
    But when I try to upload from the laptop, in PIP mode I push the "read" hot key and type in "CN0:filename.min;I" and then the "write" button, the screen in the lathe says "program file=filename.min" and just sits there.
    Is there something missing in the posted program? Or do I have something incorrect? I have the $ at the beginning before the O-word with a % after it and before the body of the program and a % at the end of the program.
    Or could my handshake be wrong in such a way that I can download from the lathe but not upload?
    Should I be using Xon-Xoff software data flow or RTS or DTR hardware data flow?
    Any input would be a GREAT help
    Thanks, Dave

What year is the machine? green text on the control? you could try PIP read CN0: no file name what do you get?

hi
    i made it by the folloing settings:
    Baudrate 2400
    Parity :Even
    Databits: 7
    Stopbits: 1
    Cts RTS,
    but i dont use cno: i use tt:
    did your software use remote?

TT: also works depending on the year CTS&RTS are not always on pin 4&5

Lb15

Jim,
    The machine is an LB15 built in 1988. It has a colored screen.
    When I try CN0: and read it does the same thing.

Phx,
    I'll try the RTS data flow control and see what happens.
    Then I'll write back and tell what I get.

Thanks

This machine doesn't like TT for some reason.

When you punch to the PC does the data look good any extra lines or funny looking data?

And good thing it's not a green screen I have had lots of RS232 issues with them.

Data is fine

Jim,
    Yes when I punch to the PC, everything looks fine....no extra, lost , or changed data.

flow control

The laptop will accept the download from the Okuma any way I set it, no flow control, Xon-Xoff, or the RTS,CTS.
    The Okuma will not accept anything from the laptop no matter the settings.
    Does anyone know the type of data flow control I should be using for this machine?

071030-1550 EST USA

Davidhaag:

I have no direct experience with Okuma. However, I sold our I232 System to a person in the Chicago area, and initially there were problems.

These problems resulted from lack of information on Okuma. In most applications you set the RS232 parameters the same at both the PC and CNC. In the case of Okuma, at least on some machines, the parity is not calculated and processed in the UART (Universal Asynchronous Receiver/Transmitter). Thus, you send data to Okuma as 7 data bits, even parity, 1 stop bit. Obviously baud rates must be identical. At Okuma the UART is programmed as 8 data bits (this now includes parity as one of the data bits), and 1 or 2 stop bits. It is likely that the UART used on receive only assumes 1 stop bit even though it is programmed for 2 stop bits. If you program the PC for 2 stop bits (this is transmit only as far as I have been able to determine). Okuma performs the parity check somewhere in their system using the 8 bit data word that actually contains 7 data bits and one parity bit.

For handshake I would use XON/XOFF (needs to be done at both ends). At the Okuma jumper pin 4 to 5, and separately 6, 8, 20 together.

PC PC end in Device Manager disable FIFO for the serial port, COM1 or whatever, you are using.

Try to send a very short file. Like header, one comment, and trailer.

We have a LB15 that we sende and recieve programs all the time. We don't give program names at the time we punch the "read" button, the lathe software will read it in the program. Our settings are:
    Baur rate: 1200
    Stop bits: 2
    Databits: 7
    Parity: even
    Flow control: software

We use a DNC software, but you can do this thru Windows Hyperterminal.

Dave,

Sounds like you are having issues with the format of the file. Procedure is correct.
    Have you sent the same file from the CNC to the PC and back into the CNC?
    This would be a proven file and most likely the issue.

Also, these controls like to see "nulls" at beginning and end of the file, with \004, end of transmission sometimes.

Software flow control works, the same as Xon/Xoff.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

RS232

See if this helps out any.

Good Luck,
    Attached Files Attached Files
    JR Walcott
    Georgia Machine Tool Resources, LLC

Thank You Guys,
    I still haven't solved the problem yet.
    I can send a file from the lathe to the PC OK but can't send the same file back to the lathe from the PC.
    I have just noticed that I have a 25 Pin to 9 Pin adaptor on the PC that may not have the correct configuration. I'll check that out.
    I also have a MAC that transfers files both ways with no problem. It has a different plug from the 25 Pin to the MAC but both PC and MAC have the same settings as far as Baud, data flow = XonXoff, data and stop bits.

I just ran into the 5000L control and they do have a odd pinout:

PC25 CNC25
    2 3
    3 2
    4 5
    5 9
    7 7
    6 jumpered to 20

Use hardware handshake....this should take care of it.
    Greg Mercurio -Shop Floor Automations
    www.shopfloorautomations.com /619-461-4000

Greg:

This pin useage is indeed strange.

It appears that the RTS function has been moved from pin 4 at the CNC to pin 9, or it is a typo, or pin 9 is a plus voltage meaning no hardware handshake on sending data to the CNC.

Sometimes pin 9 is a positive test voltage and 10 a negative on a DTE 25 pin RS232 connector. See http://www.technick.net/public/code/...inconser_rs232 .

A positive voltage on pin 9 connected to pin 5 on a 25 pin connector at the PC would always signal to the PC that the CNC was ready to receive data.

Okuma 5000 controls use 2 seperate UARTS. 1 for transmit and 1 for recieve. It is very possible that one side burns out but not the other. Very sensetive to being plugged and unplugged while the machine is powered on. On the 5000 control the RS232 is handeled by MC13 (Main Card 13). Depending on the vintage of the machine it may be a 1/2 sized daughter board in the CPU rack in the electrical cabinet. If it is buy it out right instead of exchange. Okuma has a set price for board exchange and it is higher then the buy price.

Also if the file looks good on the computer then your pinout is good. Normal configuration is pins 4+5 jumped together 6+8+20 jumped together 7 straight through and 2+3 crossed (presuming 25 pin to 25 pin cable), apply jumpers to both sides. XON/XOFF handshake or none

okuma osp700l program tranfer problems rs232

hi
    Can anybody help how to set the parameter for osp700l rs232 program transfer from new usb to cnc calmotin thingOr how to use p7000/p7002 for receiving and sending programs.please reply.thanks

After you press read does the number you are uploading appear at the top of the screen and then its sits for awhile and gives a time over alarm or file not loaded??
    If this is the case it is not seeing the end of the program you are uploading
    Normally people put % at the end; but infact you need to put like this
    %
    %
    It gives the machine control time to see the end of the progam---very common problem for this control (ps will drive you nuts)

Page 1 of 2 12