584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > SprutCAM Questions
Page 1 of 2 12

SprutCAM Questions

I'm planning to buy a Tormach CNC mill and am researching CAM software to use with my CAD software (Alibre Pro).

I'll download the SprutCAM demo in the near future, but would appreciate feedback on how easy that is to learn and use for someone that is new to CNC. Does SprutCAM Expert require a dongle or other protection device and is an annual maintenance fee required or can one buy it and use it forever?

Mike

Anybody home here?

Mike

I've been using it for a few months now and LOVE it. Check out my review in the products review section. I've tried about everything under the sun, but Sprutcam gave me usable code first day.

bobcad has a two day sale 7-5-06 (which will be the last one untill the next sale) Bobcad version 20 with 6-cd training sei $700

borrisl,

That's good to hear.

I checked the reviews section here but couldn't find anything on SprutCAM. The page indicates 4 reviews under CAD/CAM but only 3 are displayed - is there a trick to seeing all of them?

Mike

That's wierd, I don't see it either.

I started with BobCAD, but it was depressing how many little steps one has to do to make "good" code. I didn't like the interface, too foreign from anything else I've seen. From there went to GibbsCAM, nice, but too expensive. MasterCAM, an industrial standard. Too expensive, and proprietary interface. And on and on.

SprutCAM is extremely intuitive. It takes very little knowledge of machining or CAM software to get started and make some good code. I've got the expert version, and yes it was a little expensive for my tastes, but nothing like the bigger boys.

I'm of the opinion that SprutCAM is the best and easiest you can get for the money.

Borrisl you did the right thing,when buying software. Always try as many demo first and buy the one you want. (As a side note if you tried bobcad version 19 or order you may want to try them agin version 20 was a great impovement to there software)

Borrisl,

Funny that the review disappeared, but I'm fairly new here and still finding my way around.

BobCAD: It seems most folks either sorta like it or hate it, but those that hate it sure vocal about their feelings. That's enough to turn me away from it.

SprutCAM is extremely intuitive. It takes very little knowledge of machining or CAM software to get started and make some good code.
    That's very encouraging and tips me toward spending some quality time with the trial version. I'd be buying the Expert version, which might be overkill for me, but the price is within budget and maybe I'll grow into it.

Mike

I just received my Tormach about a month ago and also use Alibre Pro. I use Visualmill 5 for my CAM software. I tried sprutcam and visualmill demos before buying and found Visualmill more intuitive. They are also very helpful and will give you a demo over the web. I'm really happy with the Tormach overall so far. There were a couple of little glitches, like the coolant wires were backward so my computer control for it wasn't working at first, but the overall quality seems good and the phone support is awesome!

d

d2,

Visual Mill is on my list to evaluate if SprutCAM doesn't work out for me. It seems that it's as important to find software that thinks the same way the user does as much as finding the right feature set.

Has VM been stable for you?

My version of Alibre came with a time-limited version of VM Basic 3 but I've heard that MecSoft doesn't offer any incentive to upgrade and wants the full $4k price for VM 5. If SprutCAM doesn't work out it will be worth calling Mecsoft and finding out for sure if there is a cheaper upgrade path.

So far, all of the Tormach CNC mill owners I've heard about seem happy with the mill and I was impressed with the company when I visited their offices a couple of weeks ago. They seemed to have a good handle on cost/benefit ratios and answered questions honestly.

Mike

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry
    I'm planning to buy a Tormach CNC mill and am researching CAM software to use with my CAD software (Alibre Pro).

I'll download the SprutCAM demo in the near future, but would appreciate feedback on how easy that is to learn and use for someone that is new to CNC. Does SprutCAM Expert require a dongle or other protection device and is an annual maintenance fee required or can one buy it and use it forever?

Mike
    Hi Mike, I haven't posted on this forum for quite some time (v.busy) but will try and answer your questions:

Is SprutCAM easy to use and learn? yes it is, but it's like anything, not everyone is going to like it, but most do.

Does SprutCAM Expert require a dongle or protection device? Yes it does. It is supplied with either a Softlock activation or a USB dongle. I sell SprutCAM in the UK and have standardised on the USB dongle and use the SoftLock version for 30 day trials.

is an annual maintenance fee required? Generally no. I say generally because here in the UK we do include a 'support contract' with the purchase of SprutCAM, this includes the use of our Netviewer system for instant online support which our customers make good use of. It also includes upgrades to newer versions when they are available at no extra cost.

can one buy it and use it forever? Once purchased SprutCAM will run forever. I would strongly recommend paying a little extra for the USB dongle version as I have found that the Softlock keys can be unreliable on some PC's......

Outside of Russia SprutCAM is sold through a network of authorised resellers, but all should provide a good level of support for their customers.

I'll try and drop by this forum a bit more often and will be happy to answer any SprutCAM questions......

Dave

Thanks for the info.

Can the USB key on that version be swapped between computers so that SprutCAM will run on either PC (not simultaneously).

Mike

Hi Mike, yes, you can install the HASP USB key version of SprutCAM on as many PC's as you like, the only one that will run is the one with the USB key plugged in.

Dave

Great - thanks!

just want a block

I am trying to learn SprutCam and I thought.... maybe I should just try cutting a square block. Three hours later here I am. I set the roughing to pocket (I didn't know what else to try) and the finishing to 2D contouring. Of course I end up with a pocket not a block. Most of the stuff I am going to be doing is simply cutting outlines in steel or wood and poking a few holes in them. any help would be appreciated.
    Steve

Hi Steve, it's very difficult to advise you as you've given us very little info to workout what's going wrong.
    Have you tried doing any of the tutorials? (Help - SprutCAM tutorial).
    If you post up the SprutCAM project that you are working on (*.stc), I'm sure you'll get several users willing to help.......

Dave

Dave

I will try to place an attachment in here. I am new to this so please bare with me. I did do the tutorials (2d machining) and I sort of tried to copy them as best I could. Let me give you a little background: I am a fulltime knifemaker for the last 15 years. I have been using a Burr King Belt grinder and use a couple of drill presses along with a disc grinder. I just bought a Tormach 1100 and now I am trying to learn all this new stuff (no machinist ) like Alibre Design, Sprutcam and all the DRO stuff on the Mill itself. So if all this is more than you all want to take on to help, I would certainly understand!
    This reply page doesn't seem to want to let me send a stc file so I made a dxf file instead. if it doesn't work when I send this I will try a new post with it all alone.
    Thanks Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

Steve, I tried opening your dxf file, but all I got was an empty drawing......
    I have created an example SprutCAM project for you which is hopefully attached (Box_example.zip).
    I am using build 1.29 of SprutCAM Expert, so providing you are using the same build you should be able to open it.
    The project uses a 2D Contouring operation to machine around the outside of a box. The box was drawn in SprutCAM.
    If you are using a different build (Help - About), let me know which one you are using and I'll see if I have that version to install.

Dave
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks Dave!

Dave
    With the example you sent me I can now compare the "mess" I had to your example and now I can easily see where I was wrong! Thank you . It sure helps having a reference. The tutorials are not bad, but this made more sense to me. I seem to have read that SprutCam has trouble going from mm to inches, is that true? It would help if I could use inches instead of millimeters, at least for end mill sizes and depth.
    Steve

Dave

Dave did you build your example with SprutCam? I did mine with Alibre and am not getting the same results as your example. In fact I copied your example settings that you have in SprutCam and mine didn't even run. I exported the Alibre "box" I built as a dxf file and then imported it into SprutCam. Then I did all your settings you had in Parimeters and tried to run it and all it did was sit there. Is importing a dxf file a "bad" thing?
    Steve

By the way I am using SprutCam 4.0 if that helps.
    I just re-read your reponse earlier (above) and I now see that you DID use SC. I will attempt that. The tutorials were very helpful in learning to do some drawings.

Page 1 of 2 12