585,967 active members*
4,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > seting up my new syil x3 cnc mill.

seting up my new syil x3 cnc mill.

Hey all.. I'm just starting to setup my new x3 mill and thought I would ask if there any tricks out there for seting them up? at least as far as the software goes. also what type is the best for these cnc mills? I'm curently installing the artsoft mach3 software so far it's fairly simple but I just got started...Also I have a friend looking for a used syil x3 cnc mill if anyone know of someone that has one for sale please let me know thanks guys...Floyd

Floyd,

It's well worth taking a bit of time over the de-greasing and cleaning. I would also strongly recommend lapping the ways - it doesn't have to be anything really onerous but a little work here makes a big difference. Also, after you put it all together again, check the limits of travel and that the ballscrews are not binding. My Y axis was real difficult to move at one extremity but was relatively easily put right. I have just started a thread to show what I did.

Good luck with your machine, I think you will grow to love it.

Mike

Lapping is quite easy and does make a good change to smoothness and maximum traverse speed. Accuracy doesn't change.

I would allocate about 2 hours for the process. It's also wise to get the correct supplies in hand before you begin. I use several grades of sandpaper and a machinist granite, but other people like lapping compound. I like the sandpaper because I can use it easily with the machinist granite. I go upto a 1500 grit, (Overkill and then some) but I like to make them shine like glass. 800 grit would be perfectly fine.

Mind you, lapping is completely optional. For most people I would say you wouldn't notice much benefit.
    Direction, Commitment, Follow Through

SyilAmerica,

When lapping the ways it seems that the top surface is easily enough done with a machinist granite but what about the inside angled part of the ways that the gib rides on. Should that be lapped as well and how?

I use a machinist level and wrap paper around it.

Please feel no offense, I'm just a beginner trying to find out the truth. Although some special work, like the lapping, sounds exciting, does it really improve the accuracy? which can be offset by other things, for example, the backlash of the ball screws. I would be very interested to see some real test number.

David,

It doesn't improve the accuracy but it does improve the movement of the table, making it much freer and a consequence of this is that the steppers do not have to work as hard, accelerations and feeds can be higher too.

Mike

Well said Mike, that's exactly correct. If you are doing alot of plastics or similar materials, it would help in your overall speed. Other than that, it will not effect accuracy.

This thread imo is worth a read before starting lapping your machine.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11874

Thanks guys I havent had much time lately to work on the mill or respond to these post I got way to many things going on at the moment, I will try to reply to these post later,,,Thanks again,,Floyd