584,817 active members*
4,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL-20 Chuck Clamping Issues

We fired an M11 (unclamp chuck) in MDI mode and the chuck opened fine. Now, there is an orange message saying "UNCLAMPED". Plus, everytime we attempt fire ANY mcode (including M10-Clamp Chuck), a message comes up saying "CHUCK UNCLAMPED" and prevents the operation from starting. Does anyone have a clue what's going on?

Did you turn the main power off and back on?

I found with my machines if you Single Block past the M11 command the machine can hang up and give the unclamp alarm. Reset should fix it but when that doesn't work my first approach is power off.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Yes, I've tried cycling power and even flipping the main breaker on the back. Nothing seems to clear it.

Okay, start ripping covers off to find the limit switches or proximity detectors that signal the chuck status; it sounds like a switch has hung up or there is a chip on a proximity detector.

And my memory just recalled a year or so back someone posted about a problem with a chuck and it was the foot control switch hanging up or the plug partly loose.

If the problem persists through power down it is very likely hardware related.

Incidentally, bit of advice about removing covers...get help they are heavy. I have a finger that has a 350 degree scar because I tried doing it myself and the cover slipped and almost cut the end off.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I think you have to clear the memory while starting up, on Fanucs controls it is holding cancel+p during startup, haas prob have something like that too.. If the chuck were opened with automatic and not manual, it prob have to be closed in automatic, but you seems not to be alowed to launch automatic without closing the chuck.. activate prox switch with some iron and launch the chuck closing code in MDI, it might work.

Make sure the chuck isn't set for clamping on the ID.

parameter 278 bit 8 chuck open cyc start and it works with parameter 248 chuck unclamp rpm this is the max speed the spindle will turn with the chuck open.