585,930 active members*
4,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Step by step 3d wireframe Stl. to G-code

Step by step 3d wireframe Stl. to G-code

new to mastercam here, could somone show me how to take my complex 3D stl, or Dxf. files to a finished G-code?

Well STL I would say no as this will only handle 3d paths and STL's suck for cutting to.As for DXF is this a 2d profile or 3d file. now you want some one to take you from bringing in the file and making the paths to making Gcode? I am sorry but that is a hole trainning in it self . if you have certain questions we can answer those. lets see the DXF file sir.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

3d toolpaths

this is the file I am trying to generate a 3d toolpath for, I also have some more complex dxf file that need a 3d toolpath, such as a face model, i just need to be pointed in the right direction for a start. thanks for any help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ummm? The file you have shown is converting weird looks all spider webbed at least for me, but uh why would you want to a 3d toolpath? It's a box with radius edges just use an e-mill and radius cutter.

I'm just using this file as an example, i have other way more complex 3D wire mesh stl's and DXF. file, I've used a program called "Meshcam" to generate a toolpath for the files, but the toolpath options for that program is somwhat limiting, Can mastercam generate a 3D toolpath like Meshcam Can?

I'm not sure why your file comes out that way i assume this is the way "meshcam" converts them in to the spider webb shape, but if you can convert them you can do just about anything in mastercam...you'll have figure that out first. I'm not sure any cam will read them..tried it on surfcam as well same web shape.. somehow you need to make these a true solid before you can do anything with them.

The file you posted is an STL mastercam does not use these file well for cutting. this why I asked for the DXF. all I can do with your file is take to work and make SLS or SLA models from it. or I can redraw the hole part from your file.
    Let us see the DXF file please.

For everyone else please review the PD,F this is what he is trying to make.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Josh,
    If your parts have the same detail as this one you can cut this file in mastercam I was able to rough and finish the top view of the part just fine but if there is a stl there is a model somewhere and you would have better luck machining from the model. stl machining is something you can do with Mastercam but they do not specialize in this area and for good reason, why machine a mesh of trianglelated lines when you can machine a model. These mesh lines are generated from a solid model. Also your stl file is only so accrurate. If this is a customer sending this part I would ask him for a model from whatever Cad system he is using. If I have a chane I will post a video in the next couple days.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor