584,837 active members*
5,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > CNC Lathe : Precision Matthews or GMC CNC or ?

CNC Lathe : Precision Matthews or GMC CNC or ?

I am in need of a decent starter CNC lathe. I don't need power or size, I have a manual 12x36 lathe lathe has plenty of power and capacity for my needs.

I have found the

GMC 1330F
    http://www.machinetoolonline.com/CNC1330F.html

and

Precision Matthews
    http://www.machinetoolonline.com/PM-1330CNC.html

Both are in my price range, the GMC is on the upper end.

A big turn off is only 4 positions on the tool turrent. 6 is much more attractive, and I would prefer 8 or 10.

I need to do threading, need capability to accept 5C collets. I would like the capability to import a DXF and generate a program from that.

I don't need anything super accurate. My most critical thing is threading, and making threads that mesh together reliably and feel nice as they screw together is huge for me. Repeatability is more critical to me than accuracy. I can easily adjust the mating part if the parts are all .005" too big, but I can't deal with some that are .005" too big, some that are .005" too small, etc.

So I am looking for comments, positive, negative about both these machines, suggestions for other brands/models in the $15,000 or so market.

Thanks
    Scott

did you ever get the PM1330?