585,987 active members*
4,467 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Anyone know how to hook up eithernet to an OSP100E control with DNC-DT?

Anyone know how to hook up eithernet to an OSP100E control with DNC-DT?

Anyone know how to hookup eithernet to an Okuma MCV4020 with the OSP100E control? I have the DNC-DT option with a hard drive.

I'm new to networking and don't really know what I need. I want to connect the machine to a computer in my office. I don't need any other computers/or internet on the network. Do I need a router or can I just hook up the cable to the machine and computer?

Thanks, and any info would be appreciated.

071105-0652 EST USA

ed:

Without a router or switch you need a CAT-5E cross-over cable. One of mine should work.

Hey gordon,

What would you recommend? Is using a router a better idea, or would the cross-over cable be better?

Here is another small problem. Okuma's computer inside the electrical enclosure has an eithernet jack like on the back of the pc. No external jacks. So I as the service tech the last time he was here how do they get the cable into the electrical enclosure. He says just to drill a hole somewhere and plug directly into the okuma computer. I really don't like this idea. Especially since the cabinet has a cooling unit on it, and there is no stress relief on the cable. Would you happen to have the hardware to install an external plug on the electrical enclosure? I think this would be a much better way to wire this.

071105-1347 EST USA

Ed:

If you plan to connect more than one computer, additional machines, or maybe use our E232 on your other machines, then get an appropriate switch.

If you just use the crossover cable now for now, then later when need exists get the switch.

Using Google with the string

cat-5e through panel jacks

I got the following:

http://www.jaykang.com/capapafeco.html

I believe this is what is implied. Basically a straight thru coupler so that there is no transformation of the wiring from one cable to the other.

The string

cat-5e wall jacks

brings up one sided RJ45s.

cat5e instead of with - seems to be what Google likes.

Have you tried my cable yet to see if you can communicate? The Ethernet setup may get tricky.

Have you tried my cable yet to see if you can communicate? The Ethernet setup may get tricky.
    I've got your I232 setup on the machine now, are you saying the cable that connects the I232 boxes can be used as the eithernet cable?

Something like that through panel jack is what I'm looking for.

071105-1925 EST USA

Ed:

Yes my I232 cable is a CAT-5E cross-over cable. Unplug from the I232s at both ends. Then plug into your Ethernet connectors at both ends. I believe that you have plenty of extra length.

On the thru panel coupling you may find someone in the Chicago area that will have it in stock. Use the search strings I gave you and add Chicago and see what that turns up. Then you would need only a short non-cross-over cable inside the Okuma.

The thru coupling needs to be RJ45 with all 8 contacts even though all 8 are not used.