585,733 active members*
4,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc for drilling and tapping

Hello, I have a small job come that seems to require a cnc mill, i already have a cnc plasma driven with mach2 so not too much of a newbie to cnc but i am to mills and tapping heads, the job is a peice of solid square bar 15mmx15mm 300mm long it needs a total of 12 holes, 6 tapped to m8, 4 to take rivets so only need drilled half way so they are sunk, 2 are straight through 6mm. i would want to load 4 of these at a time, in all i am not sure what the best choice of machine would be for this, budget allows about 3 to 4k max, i know there are machines that change tooling but i expect the price is way higher, if anyone could point me in the directing of the best machine for this price i would be very grateful, i thought of a small machine for just marking these out then drilling and tapping myself but it would take for ever and drive me mad. Many Thanks. Scot. UK Northants

With your budget I do not see a CNC mill at the moment. What you are asking to do can be done with a Mill/Drill, powerfeed and DRO system simply enough. Always consider there is more cost than a simple mill purchase. Tooling cost come into to play and spending 50% to 100% of mill cost just to get started is not unusual. After a while you end up with several times mill cost in tooling and accessories I know I did.
    Ken
    Kenneth A. Emmert
    SMW Precision LLC
    Spokane, WA
    866-533-9016 Toll Free

Have a look here.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/en-gb/dept_262.html

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Scotxl View Post
    Hello, I have a small job come that seems to require a cnc mill, i already have a cnc plasma driven with mach2 so not too much of a newbie to cnc but i am to mills and tapping heads, the job is a peice of solid square bar 15mmx15mm 300mm long it needs a total of 12 holes, 6 tapped to m8, 4 to take rivets so only need drilled half way so they are sunk, 2 are straight through 6mm. i would want to load 4 of these at a time, in all i am not sure what the best choice of machine would be for this, budget allows about 3 to 4k max, i know there are machines that change tooling but i expect the price is way higher, if anyone could point me in the directing of the best machine for this price i would be very grateful, i thought of a small machine for just marking these out then drilling and tapping myself but it would take for ever and drive me mad. Many Thanks. Scot. UK Northants

Thanks Ken and Phil for your help.
    Scot

Expert: Sharpecnc MDT3 can do milling,drilling, and tapping

Dear Scot,
    Sharpecnc MDT3 can meet your demand. It can do milling,drilling, and tapping with the size X320mm,Y160mm,Z170mm. And the price is only $3900. If you are interesting, please send your any question to my email:[email protected]
    I do believe you will not disappointment. We can provide vedio for your reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 07.jpg  

I agree, that kind of money won't get you as much as you think you could get right now. Your best bet is to probably have someone else do it. If your looking at spending $4,000.00 just so you can do 1 job ?