585,758 active members*
4,675 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Lathemaster ZAY7045FG Pulley Ratios

Lathemaster ZAY7045FG Pulley Ratios

I just finished a VFD conversion with a new leeson motor (3450 rpm) and need to program Mach. Well, long story short, I didn't check the pulley ratios for the 6 speeds on the mill. Does anyone have these available???? Help would be greatly appreciated since I can't see the motor turn!!!!
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Bump - Boy these things get lost in a hurry!!!
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill,
    Don't have any of the speed info for you, but am interested in your VFD conversion and feed back on how you like it. Did you use a vector rated motor? and what was the rpm of your old motor? Who was the manufacture of your machine? Lathemaster was what I thought that you owned? Are you using a CNC4PC variable speed card for control in mach 2?

I'm wondering how you could set up a spindle tach where mach2 could read the sensor and finely tune the spindle speed.

Well anyway what brand of VFD did you go with (Most seem to use the GS2 from automation direct) and which leson motor?

Did the motor have to be modified to bolt up to your machine (Shaft cut down) and did you do it your self or take it to a motor shop?

Interesting project, did you ever cnc you lathemaster 9 X 30? If so how did it turn out?

Take care,

Ron

Good to hear from you!

Hey Bud;
    How is the lathe converison project(s) going these days??? I still plan to cnc my 9X30, but it's only on the list of things to do at this time. Smoked my lathemaster mill motor, thus the reason for this thread!!!! Sooooo, about $600 later, here I am :drowning:. Just almost there but not quite!
    I just finished installing the Leeson model no. 192074.00, 2HP, 3470 rpm, 3 phase motor which, mounts with a d90SD frame. But, as you appear to have heard, I had to have the shaft cut down to fit the mill. I got lucky and found a shop who did the work (shaft reduction, shortened and new keyway) for $30. Wow, I almost dropped my cookies when they told me the price. Anyway, mounted it on the mill and installed a Hitachi L200-022NFU2 VFD. Man, what a unit!!! This is the 3 hp model so I have a little safety factor to keep the magic smoke inside!!!(chair). I do not have a spindle tach but do need a good design which I think you worked out for the last lathe you modified?? Can you share the details??? I appreciate it!
    I did purchase from Art, the variable speed and direction card from CNC4PC. This is my only problem thus far but Art is working on it for me! With no signals connected from my breakout board, I have 700 - 900 mv output which causes my spindle to never stop, even with the M5 command. The other features controlling the speed and direction work fine, just will not go to zero volts.
    Once I get this repaired, and get the pulley ratios, I'm going to fine tune the system. Gonna be fun to have the extra features on my (oh yeah) lathemaster mill!!
    So far, with my little bit of experience, the Leeson, Hatachi, Mach 3 and CNC4PC is a very interesting combination and sure beats the heck out of the old Chineese motor which had to be manually controlled!
    Once I get finished with everything (adding a counter weight system to the 250# head), I'll take some pix. Shoot, may even clean it up a bit first!!!
    Have a good day.
    Bill
    billyjack

Bill,

The hitachi drive can be set to turn off the motor when the voltage (0-10vdc) out of the cnc4pc card is below the specified voltage level, 0.5 vdc, for example. I just read the manual this morning. I'll try to go back and give you the parameter that you set for this (and a page number).

About the spindle speed sensor, a couple of guys made a bushing to keep the draw bar centered and this may give a good place to either machine a verticle groove or thread and mount a small socket head screw that a proximity sensor from automation direct (www.automationdirect.com) (about $20)

I did two lathe conversions in the minilathe forum, using a the suggested technique. Would enjoy working with you on this. I trying to think of who made the bushing for their draw bar to keep it centered but it basically had a flange that was maybe .25" that stuck out above the top of the spindle and on the circumference of that flange is where you would either cut a notch or put the screw and mount the sensor on the Z-axis head to pick it up.(You are using the lathemaster and move the whole head with the spindle locked for your z-axis, right)

Do post a couple of pic's

Take care,

Ron

Bill,

just looked at the on-line manual (L200MHitachivfd.pdf) page 3-14 and the table on 3-15.

Basically you select the active portion of the analog input voltage range. Set parameter A013 to say 1volt (this is set in a percentage) and set parameter AO15 to 0Hz (this should set the frequency to 0 Hz when the cnc4pc is outputting any voltage less that 1 vdc (the AO13 value), and turn off the motor.

See how you understand these pages.

Hope this is the answer,

Ron