584,830 active members*
5,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Need help with toolpaths.

Need help with toolpaths.

Im trying to learn MC 9.1 by myself, but I cant figure out how to do the toolpaths.

Im trying to get a contour around my 3d model, but when I get to an edge with a different z value I cant continue my chain. can anyone help me? Ill include my file to show you what Im working on.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you are trying to just run a cutter around the outside of the part you need to take the outside edge curves and squash them so you have one level drive chain. I would but those edge curves on a separate level so you can just work with them alone. If you need any help just let me know. I will help anyway I can.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I kinda figured that was what I was going to have to do. I need to figure out how to squash them. Would it be a good idea to copy all my construction geometry and then place that into anew level and squash it or just squash the construction geomerty I have already?

is the part suppose to be severial parts as I see there are 6 solids.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

No its one solid part I couldnt figure out how to make it from one solid body. I really only need the outside profile as a post since I will just be posting that part as g code and using the dimensions in our prototrak dpm v5 at work. As far as i know they didnt opt for the g code loader for the machine.

Well who ever made this file did not compile it as single solid but no worry for what you want is on another level.
    Use this link and download this zipped AVI file taking your file and Squashing it. http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/squashfileinv9.zip
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I made that 3d model considering I didnt know what I was doing I think it turned out pretty good Thats an awsome avi. Not sure if I have the chooks ill need to look.

Found the overlap hook worked like a charm thx again.

(considering I didn't know what I was doing I think it turned out pretty good) I agree and was not meant as a slam eaither. glad I was of help.Did the AVI help?
    Cadcam

yep it helped alot.