Alright I have no clue as to whether or not this is the right sub-forum for a post however I'm sure it will be moved in the event that I have selected this forum inappropriately.

In any event please excuse any confusion as there is a wealth of information on this site.

I am currently a Mechanical Engineering student and am considering building a small CNC Mill (for the project portion of an instrumentation class that I will be taking next semester).

I'm considering something small to remain on a budget but hope to gain enough insight from the project to pursue building a CNC 5-Axis Router/Dremel Design in the future as well as possibly the retrofit of larger vertical mill to CNC control.

Where would perhaps be the best place to being learning some of the funadmentals concerning software and program interfaces, programming, stepper motors and the overall design of a machining station? I have some working knowledge of circuits and some programming as well as the ability to fabricate the frame, and gantry of the station.

Lastly what if any types of milling machines would you reccommend that have a table size close 9"x36" or slightly larger that are affordable, of reputable quality. If anyone has experience with Grizzly machines what are your impressions?

Thank you all for your time in reading post; and the induction into another fabulous intellectual community.

-Aj