585,930 active members*
4,077 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Hard drive servo spindle are any good for home made lathe?

Hard drive servo spindle are any good for home made lathe?

Hello people.
    Well, that´s the question: the spindle servo from hard drives is any good to use on the spindle of a small cnc lathe?
    I´m talking about the torque that they offer.
    Thanks people!!

don't know about torque but i've seen people using some as a grinder, juste sticking a piece of sand paper on it.

You'll certainly need custom 3p drivers, as a hard drive max consumption is below 50W...
    and about their bearings, they are tiny, not supporting much radial and axial loads.

but it could be a nice motor with matching controller for a HF spindle on a mill.
    aeromodelists often use them for their planes, I think they where talking of ~300W output after re-wiring they, and with a R/C controller.

Do you now about some page with or without pictures about those aeromodelist explain the changes?
    Thanks man!!

I'm afraid not, it was 1-2 yrs ago when I was looking for doing a RC plane.

search for "brushless motor" ,"diy brushless motor", "diy brushless motor hard drive" etc. etc
    ex:
    http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/ (300W from HDD)
    http://forum.gobrushless.com/

RC controller (some should be modifiable): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140454

If you are still pursuing this, you'll want a ball bearing motor, which means a hard drive from '02 or earlier as pretty much all HDDs use fluid bearing motors now. FDBs tend to leak lube when spun backwards, and as was previously mentioned don't like axial loads. As for torque, if you're really interested I can get Kt/Kv specs for 12v/7200 rpm motors and 12v/15k rpm motors (I work for Seagate). They can spin up to those speeds incredibly fast, so I imagine there's decent torque potential for their small size. Also, you will either need to add a feedback device or find a good brushless dc motor controller.

tanks man.
    From the 30 or 40 hd disk i have found the last weeks, is one or two with some specification interesting for my project. I dont have the brand and model right now.
    About those Kt/Kv spects im interest!!
    i have something for feedback.
    Every thin you have for helping my is good.
    By the way the other day i found something wich blow my head.
    watch this:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system...spx?print=true

Floppy drives have stepper motors on it, and 1 controller to use for hour projects. I have tray that and it work!!
    Kcam program controll it like the best!!
    5 1/4 floppy disk drives also work and they are better because of the more powerfull motors.