585,754 active members*
3,949 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco conversational vs. Milltronics conversational

Hurco conversational vs. Milltronics conversational

I have ran a milltronics RH 20 for the last 7 years Not trying to toot my own horn but i think i am pretty darn proficient at it.LOL.. Here is my question a buddy of my recently got a great deal on a HURCO machine... He called me to ask if could teach how to run it.. I was just curious if anyone out the had experience on programmin both brands of machines and what are the similarities and differences... I havent even had a chance to look at the hurco machine yet and kinda wanted to get a little heads up on it before I went over and looked at it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hurco

Ah yes, the wonderful Hurco.... It depends on the machine type. Older ones are strictly point machining, meaning you put in points for lines and arcs, and thats where it cuts. B series and earlier are a little quirky in programming.

BMC 30's,40's and later are equipped with the 2 screen controllers, or Ultimax's, and I think the Ultimax II's accept Gcode also. Call MartinCNC in Florida for answers.

Good rigid cutting machines, just not that fast....

Chow,
    -Geo
    [email protected]

I sell a great manual! $70.00 for intro and advance (total). Just in time for the holidays. Want to get the machinest or tool maker who is hard to buy for a great gift? How about a manual that walks you through button click by button click? Simpler than saying "I Do" and a hell of a lot cheaper. [email protected] I have a sample page I can send out. email me.

Hi, our department at work, we were given a milltronics RH 20 a few months ago.
    I have been programming our hurcos in conversational for years.
    I much prefer the hurcos for programming from what I see so far.
    But, to be fair the 1 book I received with the milltronics machine is very very poor compared to the hurco manuals,IMHO.
    Don

HURCOS ROCK

HI
    SAW YOUR POST THOUGHT I WOULD CHIME IN,I RAN ULTIMAX CONTROLS FOR
    ABOUT 10 YEARS,AND WENT TO HURCO SCHOOL,MY FRIENDS PATTERN SHOP HAS 4 MILLTRONICS,I THINK THE THING THAT MAKES HURCO THE BEST CONVERSATIONAL CONTROL IS ATOMATIC G43 ENGAGE TOOL LENTH OFFSETS
    WHEN CALLING A TOOL UP,FILL IN THE BLANCK FORMS,BUT ESPECIALLY,
    COPY BLOCKS AND INSERT THEM ANYWHERE IN PROGRAM,AND PATTERN LOCATIONS,IS LIKE FITURE OFFSETS,PROGRAM A BUNCH OF HOLES, CONTOURS
    CIRCLES,AND DO THE SAME ROUTINES IN ABOUT 20 LOCATIONS WITH 2 BLOCKS OF INFO,

I am an ex applications engineer for a Milltronics distributor, I am now an applications engineer for a Hurco Distributor. I am very happy to have made the switch! Hurco is a much easier control to work with and has more options! There is less work with programming the Hurco vs the Milltronics. The new WinMax makes it even nicer. The option of USB on the hurco is a great thing to have...it is not offered on the Milltronics, they only have the option of the multicard reader. DXF input on the hurco allows you to change your part zero, Milltronics needs to have the part drawn at zero. Hurco allows you import many layers to your DXF and shut them off, Milltronics needs a CLEAN DXF...no layers or hidden geometry! Tool change and coolant are at every block/event. Milltronics is a separate block/event to change tool and turn the coolant on. extra button pushing!....Milltronics cannot create an eclipse! The graphics allow you chose and enity and find that block in the program for editing....not Milltronics. The ability to start the program anywhere is a breeze in Hurco.......not so easy in Milltronics. The interupt button is also a great feature on the Hurco, this stops the program and retracts the tool automaticly.....allows you to jog the machine around and pick up exactly where you left off!!!! You need to start at the beginning of the block.....after you find it...on the Milltronics. The price difference is also justified in the standard building practices of the machine.....having done service on both machines Hurco puts the machine together with the intention to make it last...Milltronics hope it lasts past the warranty. Component quality is what I am getting at. A switch with an O-ring would cost $3.00 more to ensure coolant wouldn't make it fail.......a known and repeating problem....but to add this it would only increase the cost of the machine. You get what you pay for! Milltronics is a step up from HAAS though!!

Hi, guys, I had been programing in G-codes M-codes, but must probably I'll move to
    Hurco environment, if any one can tell me where I can get information about Hurco
    conversational program (both late and mills) I'll appreciate.
    Thanks for the time.
    Augusto.

Manuals and keyboard trays

Yes I have a mill manual that is easy to follow. I can send you a sample page if you would like. I also sell a keyboard for the newer single screen max controlers with a powder coated tray. For a sample page send me an email [email protected] I use to be a Senior Applications Engineer for Hurco U.S. for several years. I have trained many companies and sold many of these manuals.
    Manual (intro and advanced manual) $70.00 USD (ship email)
    keyboard and tray $134.00 USD plus shipping.
    (fits Max controlers, Like VM1, VM2 type single screen).
    (.09 thick, black powder coat for durability, small laptop type keyboard).
    The keyboard makes it very easy to enter information. Photo available by end of the week. My prototype is at the powder coater now. Let me know if I can help. I will check to see if I can get a training manual for a lathe today.

Hurco conversational vs. Milltronics conversational

Pedestal grinders, sanders, Dumore toolpost grinder, Better Engineering parts washer, drills, mills, reamers, collets, vises, dividing heads, indexers, CNC tool holders, brake dies, punches, CNC turret punch, tooling, press dies, arbors, 40 and0 taper milling machine tooling, cutters, inserts, many granite surface plates, Greenlee hyd. Knockout, Troyke and other rotary tables, 5C indexers, clamps, fixtures, hot plate, shell mill cutters, Aloris tooling, jacobs chucks, grinding wheels, abrasives, parallels, misc. Inspection items, hardness tester with tooling, tapping heads, angle plates, taps, dies, Eubank wire stripper, power tools, air tools, hand tools, hardware, Schmidt model 4 marking machine, Rampe twin barrel deburrer/ finisher, misc. fab. machines, etc

Tell your friend, Hurco Parts and Service at www.amtsinc.com

Quote Originally Posted by augusto diaz View Post
    Hi, guys, I had been programing in G-codes M-codes, but must probably I'll move to
    Hurco environment, if any one can tell me where I can get information about Hurco
    conversational program (both late and mills) I'll appreciate.
    Thanks for the time.
    Augusto.

Hurco manuals can be found on line at the Hurco website.

I program offline, but I sat in on a Hurco training class at shop that got new machines. The instructor picked one of the companies rather sophisticated parts, took a caliper and made some rough measurements since a print wasn't handly and quickly reproduced the part in Conversational. I was rather impressed as I would have drawn it up in the CAD/CAM myself. It's fairly easy given a print to work from to produce a part in Conversational given just a slight learning curve. A lot shorter learning curve than you'd have starting from scratch with CAD/CAM. Conversational will let you enter known data and it will go back and calculate the unknowns.