584,808 active members*
5,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Keeping the Syil X3 Mill Cool

Keeping the Syil X3 Mill Cool

I have read a few posts where people are concerned about the temperature rise of the spindle motor especially when running for long periods under load. I recognized early (even before I switched the machine on) that due to the enclosed design the spindle motor would operate at higher temperatures than desirable. There is one golden rule with electronics and that is lower operating temperature = increased reliability.

As soon as I received my machine I stripped it and added quite a few modifications aimed at increasing reliability and some niceties that I wanted. This post is restricted to explaining my modifications to improve the cooling of the electronics enclosure at the rear of the machine and the spindle motor.

I have attached a zip document which explains all.

Regards

Chrisjh
    Attached Files Attached Files

More temperature measurements!!!

I ran my Syil X3 for 6 hours on a job last week machining Operation 6 of 8 Operations on 50 parts. I was cutting full depth profiles on 6mm thick 6061 T6 Al with a 6mm 2 Flute Slot Drill. DOC was approx 1mm for roughing passes and 0.5mm for the finishing pass

The ambient temperature was approx 24 degrees C (A cool day for Brisbane Australia). The maximum air temperature from the air vents of the spindle head that I measured was 41 degrees C.

So it appears that my spindle motor forced air cooling modification maintains a maximum temperature rise of roughly 17-18 degrees of the air above ambient whilst working reasonably hard.

I am very happy with this.

Regards

Chrisjh

Wouldn't the fan on the underside of the spindle enclosure draw debris (and coolant) into the motor cavity? It seems like this fan should blow out to keep from ingesting liquids and particles which will not make your electronics happy.

I considered swarf and coolant ingestion before making the decision to draw air in from underneath.

The upwards air flow is fairly gentle and after 6 months of operation I have not had any problems. I did worry about this though. I have been watching the inlet side of the fan during machining operations and I have not seen any swarf or coolant thrown high enough to be ingested.

I also like the idea of convection being assisted by forced air cooling because it is more efficient.

However I will move the switchmode power supply that powers the fans and light upwards because swarf and coolant splashes do hit the power supply. (not good, an oversite on my part).

Regards

Chrisjh

Used an alternator fan

I was inspired by your post when looking round for information on cooling. Rather than adding an electric fan on the bottom I have added a fan blade from an old alternator to the top, driven directly by the spindle motor. I'm not sure how well this will work in the long run, however air is being force out the top holes and I can feel a small flow sucking up from the bottom. This should help with the convection cooling and negates the need for more power to drive another electric fan.

I turned the alternator fan blade down to 120mm diameter (was 125mm) and the thickness down to 14mm from 16mm for it to fit in the housing for clearance. A small collet was turned to hold the blade in place with the original drive sprocket bolt on the spindle. I have attached a photo of the fan fitted. Hope this helps others.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fanonspindle-lores.jpg  

Hi Kiwi,

What a clever idea!!

I can see that it would work well. I would definitely use your idea if I had to modify another machine.

My solution has been working now for about 4 years with no problems. I was concerned that coolant and swarf would be drawn up but the headstock fan is well above the working area.

Regards

Chrisjh

Neat solution...I might just have to borrow it!