585,722 active members*
4,053 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

speeds and feeds

Can Solidcam automatically generate speeds and feeds based on the material cut and max spindle rpm like Mastercam?

Yes. The speeds and feeds it generates are very credible.

You can also edit the speed and feed defaults very easily. Under the main SolidCam menu you will find a menu pick to be able to alter (and add) speed and feed defaults for workpiece material or based on a tool material.

regards

The current release doesn't do this. You can create a table of speeds/feeds based on tools and then it will use that, but it doesn't generate them for you. I looked for that feature specifically after seeing it in Mastercam and had the tech confirm that it didn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by bdrmachine View Post
    Can Solidcam automatically generate speeds and feeds based on the material cut and max spindle rpm like Mastercam?

Speeds and Feeds from SolidCAM

There is an editable table in SolidCAM (Speed and Feed Defaults) that includes part material types, tool material types, surface speeds, and chip load per tooth values. Basically to get started the values provided I think are out of the Machinist Handbook. For example you may have a part material type that is 304 Stainless Steel, a tool material type such as 1/2 Diameter Carbide, and associated surface speed and chip load per tooth values. As long as you tell it the part material type in the CAM-Part definition, and tell it the tool material type in the part tool table it will calculate the speed and feed based on the values in the table. Problem in my opinion is that these are very generic values that have nothing to do with radial or axial depths of cut, length of the end mill, and so on. If you do a wide variety of parts and material types the size of the table would have to be out of control from a size standpoint to accommodate different cutting conditions.

This might make sense if you worked on the sames type of material, parts and products all time. For those of us that are into general job shop type machining I can't see how this can offer any value.

That is correct, but it doesn't calculate the S&F.

This seems to me like a capability that it ought to have. In fact, the S&F will be affected by the material, tool, machine capabilities, and cut depth/chipload. It seems like a software package ought to be able to compute the S&F for you in a fairly sophisticated way.

The calcs in Mastercam, AFAIK, are just simple calcs, they don't factor in the aggressiveness of the cut

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Hubert View Post
    There is an editable table in SolidCAM (Speed and Feed Defaults) that includes part material types, tool material types, surface speeds, and chip load per tooth values. Basically to get started the values provided I think are out of the Machinist Handbook. For example you may have a part material type that is 304 Stainless Steel, a tool material type such as 1/2 Diameter Carbide, and associated surface speed and chip load per tooth values. As long as you tell it the part material type in the CAM-Part definition, and tell it the tool material type in the part tool table it will calculate the speed and feed based on the values in the table. Problem in my opinion is that these are very generic values that have nothing to do with radial or axial depths of cut, length of the end mill, and so on. If you do a wide variety of parts and material types the size of the table would have to be out of control from a size standpoint to accommodate different cutting conditions.

This might make sense if you worked on the sames type of material, parts and products all time. For those of us that are into general job shop type machining I can't see how this can offer any value.

Hi: I use the speeds and feeds defaults in SolidCam all the time (took a few hours to program). I learned a hard lesson once by using a calculated feed for a #7 drill bit from MC. Instead of 4.5 IPM feed, it was 45 IPM. Suffice to say, it did not drill a nice hole......
    The point I'm making is that for me (non production, custom 1 off's), I can get away with fixed values. A trick I learned is to program 2X the desired feedrate, then dial the feed override on the control down to 50%. This gives me the ability to bump up or dial down the feedrate If I'm making more than 1, I then program the feedrate that was used when making the first part. My FAGOR 8055 feedrate override only goes from 0-120%.

regards
    ----------------
    Can't Fix Stupid