585,758 active members*
4,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 13 of 41 3111213141523
    Quote Originally Posted by hhogendoorn View Post
    Hello,

I build also Steve's rotary indexer without a Printed Circuit Board, it's easy to do with only wires (see picture).
    First I took a frontplate (eddystone box) drilled 16 holes for switches and a square for the display.
    ALso a pc board with holes (100 mil) attached the 40 pins dil for the pic and placed a couple of resistors without the limit/control circuit.
    only R11 R10 (pull-up) and R6 (pull_down) R1..R4 are placed.
    Also the motor driver + Trafo is in the same box (2x L6203 + L297), I did on the same way as the PIC board.

It took some days to solder and : It worked the first time power up (Vertex BS0)!!

Thanks for the software + schematic Steve!
    Hans
    Nice work Hans, definitely more than one way to skin the proverbial cat!
    Marty

"Locked"

Ok, I have my stepper driver hooked up, a stepper motor hooked up.
    Right now stepper is 200 steps per rev and so set up in the controller.

If I try and jog the motor, I get a message that pops up and says "LOCKED".
    Documentation does not give any reference to that term.

What might that mean?

(When I do try and advance, I can feel the stepper seem to advance a step)
    Thanks in advance.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by Marty_Escarcega View Post
    Ok, I have my stepper driver hooked up, a stepper motor hooked up.
    Right now stepper is 200 steps per rev and so set up in the controller.

If I try and jog the motor, I get a message that pops up and says "LOCKED".
    Documentation does not give any reference to that term.

What might that mean?

(When I do try and advance, I can feel the stepper seem to advance a step)
    Thanks in advance.

Marty
    Well Marty, looks like you have stumped all who reads this thread ...Seriously,
    It seems like by now somebody would have taken a shot at your problem, it's as nobody is reading this thread anymore!

Paul

Hello,

I'm needing some help on ordering the componants on the PC board. I just don't have the knowledge to identify the parts when I search for them at Mousers. There are so darn many kinds of these parts.

Has anyone perhaps made up a list of the parts that even a guy like me can order up the necessary parts to make this project up.

Thanks,

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by pwasbury View Post
    Well Marty, looks like you have stumped all who reads this thread ...Seriously,
    It seems like by now somebody would have taken a shot at your problem, it's as nobody is reading this thread anymore!

Paul
    Yes, and we are still dead in the water. After a few emails back and forth with Steve, it appears that they are limit inputs on pins 7&8 of the pic. Locked comes up when both pins are low. Though when measured, both pins are high. We build two controllers at the same time BOTH are exhibiting the same problem. Time hasn't permitted more in depth exploration.

We have rolled back a version of the firmware and reflashed the pics. After erasing them of course. It is a bit of a bummer. WE do have a member of our metalworking club that is pretty sharp with electronics and pic programming who has offered to take a look. IF/WHEN we figure out what we did, we'll post.

Marty

Yes, and we are still dead in the water. After a few emails back and forth with Steve, it appears that they are limit inputs on pins 7&8 of the pic. Locked comes up when both pins are low. Though when measured, both pins are high. We build two controllers at the same time BOTH are exhibiting the same problem. Time hasn't permitted more in depth exploration.

We have rolled back a version of the firmware and reflashed the pics. After erasing them of course. It is a bit of a bummer. WE do have a member of our metalworking club that is pretty sharp with electronics and pic programming who has offered to take a look. IF/WHEN we figure out what we did, we'll post.

Marty
    It is a most perplexing problem...

If the pins are high and the display still reads locked the only really logical explanation is the PIC programming. However I've studied the data sheet and can't see anything that could be done that would explain it.
    The fact that both behave the same way says that something is wrong, but I don't know what it could be.

Shame I'm in the U.K, I'd love to have a look and see what is wrong. I've come across this issue before, but the guy who did it had a short circuit and the pins where being pulled low.

Quote Originally Posted by cruisor View Post
    Hello,

I'm needing some help on ordering the componants on the PC board. I just don't have the knowledge to identify the parts when I search for them at Mousers. There are so darn many kinds of these parts.

Has anyone perhaps made up a list of the parts that even a guy like me can order up the necessary parts to make this project up.

Thanks,

Lee
    I'm not familiar with Mouser - but what parts in particular?
    In general you can use almost anything as long as the value is correct and you can physically fit it to the board.
    Nothing is critical.

Marty
    Marty,

I am still reading this subject, but I also do not have an answer.
    The only problem I had was with software version 2.12, I am using 2.11 without any problems. Also the word Locked is not in the first Kwackers version C files, the latest versions I do not have the source.
    Hans

Marty,

I am still reading this subject, but I also do not have an answer.
    The only problem I had was with software version 2.12, I am using 2.11 without any problems.
    Hans
    Hi Hans,

What problem did you have with 2.12? (I'm not aware of any issues with it).

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackers View Post
    Hi Hans,

What problem did you have with 2.12? (I'm not aware of any issues with it).

Steve.

It looks like the pic was constant resetting. I went back to .11 and the problem was gone.
    Maybe my failure or a programming fault, I am using the controller now for cutting gears (still 10 to go) but when I am ready with this I'll load 2.12 and let you know what I see.
    Thanks , Hans

Smile

It is a most perplexing problem...

If the pins are high and the display still reads locked the only really logical explanation is the PIC programming. However I've studied the data sheet and can't see anything that could be done that would explain it.
    The fact that both behave the same way says that something is wrong, but I don't know what it could be.

Shame I'm in the U.K, I'd love to have a look and see what is wrong. I've come across this issue before, but the guy who did it had a short circuit and the pins where being pulled low.
    Steve, I appreciate your efforts. We all do! I'll let you know what we find after we get together with our electronics tech friend. If he can't solve it, I might well ship it up to you!
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by cruisor View Post
    Hello,

Thanks,

Lee
    I had the same issue but worked through by going back through all the old posts etc.

I'll try to help. I ordered mostly from Digikey so I'll post some of their numbers so that you will get an idea of what to order. These worked for me but I ordered some parts from Newark also.

4.7KQBK-ND resistor
    300-8487-ND crystal
    10KQBK-ND resistor
    CF1/282JRCT-ND resistor
    BC1154CT-ND cap
    399-4172-ND cap
    3386X-103LF-ND pot
    P5168-ND cap
    MC7805CT-BPMS-ND voltage regulator
    BC33725TACT-ND transistor

These are not the only choices and may not be the best but they worked. Ask if you need more help.

I learned a lot in the making of this controller including making the circuit board.

Regards,
    Dick K.

It looks like the pic was constant resetting. I went back to .11 and the problem was gone.
    Maybe my failure or a programming fault, I am using the controller now for cutting gears (still 10 to go) but when I am ready with this I'll load 2.12 and let you know what I see.
    Thanks , Hans
    That sounds like the watchdog bit was set in the config of the PIC when it was programmed.
    The circuit doesn't use the watchdog, if it's enabled then the PIC will reset at regular intervals.

Red face

Steve, I appreciate your efforts. We all do! I'll let you know what we find after we get together with our electronics tech friend. If he can't solve it, I might well ship it up to you!
    Marty
    LOCKED problem solved! Never assume they send you the right PIC. Upon closer inspection we got a 18F4520 instead of the 18F452.
    We picked up another PIC today , programmed it and sure enough problem solved!
    Doh!
    Marty

LOCKED problem solved! Never assume they send you the right PIC. Upon closer inspection we got a 18F4520 instead of the 18F452.
    Doh!
    Marty
    Marty
    Congratulations! I'm sure happy for you! After I read that, I went and checked mine, and it turned out okay. The problem I'm dealing with is shaky hands and solder bridges!

Paul

Doh!
    Marty
    I'm amazed the programmer didn't warn you! I'm also quite impressed the 4520 ran the 452 code, they're pretty similar but in computers similar isn't usually enough!

Well done anyway, at least I can give my brain a rest...

I'm amazed the programmer didn't warn you! I'm also quite impressed the 4520 ran the 452 code, they're pretty similar but in computers similar isn't usually enough!

Well done anyway, at least I can give my brain a rest...
    Well, lesson learned, never assume you were shipped what you ordered. A quick look at the pic initially we thought they were the correct ones.

You were right, it had to be the PIC.

Marty

Pic

One of you bought a board and a PIC from Beevo. There is a strong possibility it is the incorrect pic. Please PM me if you were the one that bought it so we can make it right for you.

Marty

Issues with using a faster Xtal for the PIC

Kwackers,

Is there any issues if a faster than 10MHz xtal is used with the PIC, as per original design?

Just asking since I can use either a 16 MHz or 40 MHz xtal.

Thanks
    groov

Quote Originally Posted by groov View Post
    Kwackers,

Is there any issues if a faster than 10MHz xtal is used with the PIC, as per original design?

Just asking since I can use either a 16 MHz or 40 MHz xtal.

Thanks
    groov
    I wouldn't...

The PIC is designed for a maximum clock speed of 10Mhz and is internally running at 4x that (so in this case 40Mhz).

It's highly unlikely it can run with a 16Mhz crystal (and definitely won't with a 40mhz), if it did then you may get sporadic crashes and other 'strangeness'.

It would be possible to clock it slower than 10Mhz, it would simply means the motor runs slower for the same settings.

Page 13 of 41 3111213141523