509,808 active members
4,718 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 17 of 67 7151617181927
    Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by mckayrak View Post
    chuck moves while cutting so i must break chuck not to move.
    and i want to change the menu language. is it possible?
    I assume you mean you want to disable the movement? If so then you can fit a switch to the two limit switches - if both are activated together the table is 'locked'.
    You may wish to fit a mechanical lock to your table as well.

Regarding languages, sorry - there is no provision for that.
    It wouldn't be that difficult to add other languages but the text would have to fit into the space allocated for the English version (which definitely rules out German...;-)

Registered
    thanks for your help.

Registered

keypad wiring

Hello everyone and thanks for all the help.

Looking at the information I have, I am uncertain as to the wiring of the keypad. The keypad I have has 8 connections and the and the board has 8. What gets connected to what? Looking at the Circuit Diagram v2.0.jpg and the PCB Overlay 2.0.bmp one shows the connections as RD0-RD7 and the other shows R1-R4 and C1-C4. I have no idea what that translates to the real world.

I tested the keypad and I find that two connections = one key press. But have no idea what to connect to what. I know this doesn't sound very clear, but that where my mind is at, lost.

Roy
    Roy - Pahrump, NV USA

Registered
    Hi Roy,

Imagine 4 wires (column are running side by side downwards) and 4 wires (rows) are running across them. There would be 16 positions where these wires cross over - these 16 positions represent the keys - if you were to press them together you'd essentially have the keypad.

This is how the keypad looks - RD4-RD7 run down and RD0-RD3 run across:

Code:
        RD4 RD5 RD6 RD7
    RD3 [1] [2] [3] [Speed]
    RD2 [4] [5] [6] [S]
    RD1 [7] [8] [9] [C]
    RD0 [<] [0] [>] [G]
    So for example if you press [9] then you'll connect RD6 and RD1, [<] would connect RD4 and RD0.

So all you need to do is identify which lines on your keypad represent which RD line on the board and wire it accordingly.
    Worse case is if you get it wrong - the keys will be in the wrong place!

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
    I used a #64 drill, I think that = .036" or .9144mm. I have yet to place all the parts, so it was just a guess. Once I have parts on the board I'll confirm.
    Just an update to confirm that the drill size I used worked fine for all the components I mounted. Those include connector blocks for all off board connections.

Many holes could have been smaller, some not.
    Roy - Pahrump, NV USA

Registered

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwackers View Post

Code:
        RD4 RD5 RD6 RD7
    RD3 [1] [2] [3] [Speed]
    RD2 [4] [5] [6] [S]
    RD1 [7] [8] [9] [C]
    RD0 [<] [0] [>] [G]
    Thanks, even I can understand that.
    Roy - Pahrump, NV USA

Registered

PC Boards

I got a request to make a PC board for this project. My buddy has the equipment to photo etch the boards, $20 plus $1 US Mail First Class postage you drill the board. $30 plus $1 US Mail First Class postage we'll hand drill the board for you. (done on a dremel drill press) Sorry, this is limited to folks in the US. If you are interested PM me. Once I know how many are seriously interested, we'll make a run of the boards. When they are done I will PM you. I have a paypal account and can be paid that way.

Registered

Rotary table indexer

Hi Kwackers,
    Thanks to share its ideas.
    I have a Vertex of ratio 90:1, but it is possible also to be used with small rotary tables of ratio 36:1. I want to buy one.
    Thanks and greetings.
    Victor

Registered

Other applications for this project?

Thank you kwackers for sharing this project with all of us!
    I have been reading this thread with great interest thinking it may well be the solution I was looking for my application. What I am seeking is a simple single axis controller for positioning a fence on various woodworking machines. The idea is to be able to simply input a distance with the keyboard and move the fence to that position with either a lead screw or timing belt drive. I'm hoping this controller could do this without too much difficulty simply by rewriting the code. Is this doable with this design? (or better yet, has anyone already done it??) I'm prepared to dust off my programming knowledge and tackle it if this is the right platform for the application I have in mind. Ideally other functions such as incremental positioning, preset values, etc. could be implemented also.
    Any input or pointers would be welcome and if I can get this project started I'll start a new thread.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by torquemada View Post
    Hi Kwackers,
    Thanks to share its ideas.
    I have a Vertex of ratio 90:1, but it is possible also to be used with small rotary tables of ratio 36:1. I want to buy one.
    Thanks and greetings.
    Victor
    Hi Victor,
    The worm ratio can be set from 1:1 to 999:1 so it will work with your 36:1 no problems.
    Obviously you won't get the same resolution as you would with a 90:1 table, since with a 400 step motor the best resolution will be 360 / (36 * 400) = 0.025 degrees (giving an error of half that or 0.0125 degrees).

regards.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by marzetti View Post
    Thank you kwackers for sharing this project with all of us!
    I have been reading this thread with great interest thinking it may well be the solution I was looking for my application. What I am seeking is a simple single axis controller for positioning a fence on various woodworking machines. The idea is to be able to simply input a distance with the keyboard and move the fence to that position with either a lead screw or timing belt drive. I'm hoping this controller could do this without too much difficulty simply by rewriting the code. Is this doable with this design? (or better yet, has anyone already done it??) I'm prepared to dust off my programming knowledge and tackle it if this is the right platform for the application I have in mind. Ideally other functions such as incremental positioning, preset values, etc. could be implemented also.
    Any input or pointers would be welcome and if I can get this project started I'll start a new thread.
    Hi, I've used the current system "as is" for something similar - basically with a custom thread and appropriate settings you can get it so 1 degree = 1mm. The main issue is that it thinks it can 'wrap around' so that 360mm is shown as 0mm. It's not ideal, but it can be done.

Alternatively it would be possible to re-write the software to make it a linear system (originally I started writing this to make 'box joint's). The only issue is one of resolution - the software holds the position as a 16 bit number and this would need extending to 32 bits to hold a decent range.

I've written a new 4 axis engine specifically to do linear stuff. At the moment it's temporarily on hold whilst I decide whether to stay with 8 bit pics or move to 16 (or 32) bit. I'm not sure if the functionality I want can be built into an 8 bit version...

Regards
    Steve.

Registered

ratio 36:1

Hi kwackers,
    Thanks for its fast answer and its aid.
    Not if it happened with this ratio 36, just like to the Flavioluiz friend with the 72, that it did not show the calculation in some steps well.
    Very many thanks, steve, will try when the table arrives.

Regards
    Victor

Page 17 of 67 7151617181927