585,969 active members*
4,562 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 7 of 41 5678917
    Quote Originally Posted by Viumau View Post
    Test this here ...
    Thanks very much Viumau.
    Your latest file downloaded succesfully and opened in Eagle v5.6.

Regards,
    Bravo

Wink

Hi Bravo,
    After mounting the indexer if you get any error let me know to fix, here is working properly ...:violin:

Hi, Gentlemen!

First of all, I want to Thank You so much, Mr. Steve Ward (kwackers), for sharing your GREAT knowledgement with all of us! We all apreciate very much.
    I'm waiting exactly something like this for a long, long time ago. Now, finally, I'll get it! A dream is coming true!
    It's a fantastic work, Steve.
    And a BIG Thanks to all folks who help and support this fantastic project.

Best Regards,
    Flávio Luiz.

Hi Gentlemen (again!)

I did the PCB and built the astonish Rotary Table Indexer Controller from Mr. Steve Ward, our Great Friend in this Forum! I like so much the unit after finished it. I tested it on the last weekend, and it did work OK. I made the tests with the standard setup values.
    But when I did change the "Worm Ratio" to match with my table specs, what in my case is 80:1, the display shows some "weird" values on it. In "Division" Mode, it shows "Pos: 5.:01" at "Div: 1 of 60" (instead of 6.00 Degrees), and it shows "Pos: 11.:01" at "Div: 2 of 60" (instead of 12.00 Degrees), but displays right the 3rd Division ( Pos: 18.000" at Div: 3 of 60). The 4th is "wrong" (Pos: 23.:01), The 5th too (Pos. 29.1), but the 6th is OK (Pos: 36.000). And so on.
    The same "weird" values appears on the "Degrees" function, what shows "Pos: 59.:01" at "Deg: 60.00" in the 1st index, but the 2nd is correct ("Pos: 120.011" at "Deg: 60.00"), as the 3rd is too ("Pos: 180.000" at "Deg: 60.00").

Other issue occurred: During the Division or Degrees Modes, after some JOG movements (the keys 1, 4, 7 and 3, 6, 9, what I found very useful!), when return to the "Division" (or "Degrees") operation (in other words, WITHOUT left the "Division" or " Degrees" menu), the unit can´t stop on the next "Division" (or "Degree"), and continues to run the motor continuously. This happens in a random way, sometimes work properly, and sometimes not.

I´m using your firmware v. 2.11 into the PIC, all PCB wires checked carefully, and are OK. The unit sends STEP and DIRECTION pulses to the Stepper Motor Driver correctly, and the keyboard was tested with your "keyboard test firmware", all keys are working OK, too.

Mr. Kwackers, please, I need your precious help. What can I´m doing wrong?

But I´m very happy with the controller you create, and now sharing with all of us. I believe my problem is a minor issue, with some easy solution, and recommend this project to everybody like me, who have the skills to build it, but don´t have the resources to buy some commercial & expensive unit like that!

Thank You very much again, Mr. Steve Ward! I appreciate so much your efforts. Your project it´s a very good job, and it´s well done! Something I´ll remember forever.

Hi flavioluiz,

I've had a look at the code and found a rounding error in the code that prints the final angle.

The problem stems from the fact that a 80:1 ratio worm with a 400 steps motor can't turn exactly to 6.00 degrees - in fact it turns to 5.99625 degrees (533 steps). The code should round up the fraction to 6.00 but instead prints 5 then has too large an number to print after the decimal and prints nonesense.

This only effects the value printed, not the actual position - the table is in the correct position. I'll have a fix published for this shortly.
    The second issue I'm still looking into, once I've figured out what's happening (I can't replicate it yet) then I'll publish a new .hex file.

Regards.

Hi flavioluiz,

Regards the second issue - I don't think I can replicate this, however there is one circumstance where the table may turn more than you might initially think - can I just confirm this isn't it?

As an example, set up to divide by 60.
    Now whilst in division, press the 1 degree clockwise jog seven times - (you'll notice you've jogged past the next division which was 6 degrees.)
    Now press the next division clockwise button - the table will now make a 359 degree rotation.

The reason it does this is because you've jogged past the next division (remember jogging whilst dividing is only temporary), so when you tell it to turn clockwise to the next division it has to rotate nearly a full circle to get there.

Let me know if this is what is happening or if there's some other issue.

Hello, our Big Friend Steve! nice to "meet" you!

Yes, you're absolutely right about your last two posts! The display really shows a "weird" value, but the division is correct. And this will happens every time the division is not exact, as in the 70:1 worm ratio, for example, and other values that the same situation occurs.

About the second issue, again, you're right! I tested and it did happens the way you report, then I apologize for my error...!

And , with your permission, may I make a suggestion? If you intend to make changes in your code, what you think to put a new menu entry, near the "Worm Ratio", called "Motor Steps" or something else like, what represents the Number of Steps per turn - used by the Stepper Motor? This way the setup will looks pretty, uh? This entry will then be multiplied by the "Worm Ratio" value, given the correct amount of motor movement, without the "manual" calculations on the "Worm Ratio" value. It's only a suggestion. Is it possible?

I'm waiting for your new HEX file.

Thank You very much for your kind and fast attention, Steve! You're making a nice and good job. I like so much this controller! It's VERY USEFUL to me.

Best Regards,
    flavioluiz.

Firmware Update.

Hi attached is v2.12.

This is simply a bug fix for 2.11. This fixes a bug discovered by flavioluiz that causes the angle to be displayed incorrectly at integer values of angle (i.e 6.00) when the worm ratio selected can't turn the table to the angle exactly.

For example a worm ratio of 80 combined with a 400 steps per rev stepper can get to an angle of 5.99625 deg but not 6.00 dead. In this case the bug causes the display to read incorrectly (usually garbage).

For people with non problematic ratios (e.g 90, 60 etc) there is no need to use this release.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Flavioluiz,
    Re the seperate input for steps per rev of the stepper motor.

I'll have a think about allowing a separate field for the stepper. However it's not quite as simple as allowing it to be input since having both stepper and worm ratio allows the steps per revolution to exceed the integer maths limits that the code can handle.

For example. With a 400 step stepper, and a max 9999 worm the number of steps per revolution is 3,999,600 which the code can handle, but if you microstep your motor to say 32,000 steps then the value is well outside what the engine can handle.

In effect just entering the ratio allows the number to be limited to sensible values without further thought, whereby if I allow you to enter the steps along with worm ratio then I'd need to add code to handle cases whereby you'd exceeded the maximum (and minimum) values.

I agree though it would be 'nicer' if this were possible. Perhaps a menu of allowable (common) values??

It works like a charm!

My friend Steve, Thank You so much!

Your new release is working very well!

About the new menu entry, I made only a suggestion. I agree and understood all you said.
    But I did like your idea about to include a menu with allowable, common values of stepping configurations. Will be an improvement to your code, and the functionality of the device will be better, too!

Thank You for your kind attention, my friend! I´ll continue using your amazing controller, and if I can help in any way to improve your project, please let me know!

Best Regards,
    Flávio Luiz.

Pic18F452 discontinued

One of my fav suppliers (HVWTech) shows that these chips are discontinued and are replaced by 18F4525.

It appears to be a pin for pin replacement but there are some differences that seem to add a bit more capabilities.

Is the hex code supplied for the indexer compatable with the new chip?

thanks

JohnW

Quote Originally Posted by tjwal View Post
    Is the hex code supplied for the indexer compatable with the new chip?

thanks

JohnW
    Hi JohnW,
    Sorry, without re-compiling the code and building a new hex file it's certain you can't simply use the old .hex file.
    In the U.K these chips are still widely available from many sources (i.e Farnell), they're simply marked as not-recommended for new designs.

Out of interest I have attempted to rebuild the code for a 18F4520 but for some reason it didn't work as intended - most likely the 4520 requires some extra set up. Given the 452 is still widely available I haven't had the time or inclination to spend on working out why.

I think Farnell has a U.S distributer (certainly they sometimes ship stuff over from the U.S), failing that you can often pick the chips up on ebay.
    ( You appear to be in Canada - here: eBay 18F452

Regards,
    Steve.

Steve
    It looks like I can get the older chip from DigiKey. I'll just have to make up a large enought order to make it worth while ordering from them.

Thanks

JohnW

Steve
    It looks like I can get the older chip from DigiKey. I'll just have to make up a large enought order to make it worth while ordering from them.

Thanks

JohnW
    Hi John W

I'm in exactly the same boat - I'm in Canada and can't find a source for the 18F452. I have the pdf version of the 3" thick DigiKey catalog and did a search in acrobat but couldn't find it there. Can you give me the DigiKey part number that you turned up?

Sid H

digikey part number is PIC18F452-I/P-ND. Last time I purchased them was mid Jun-09.
    D. Paulson

Quote Originally Posted by dpaulson View Post
    digikey part number is PIC18F452-I/P-ND. Last time I purchased them was mid Jun-09.
    OK, thanks - I'll try that.

Sid H.

Sid
    That is the same number I found on their online store. They show about 650 in stock. Current price is $9.29

JohnW

Microchip still supply Sample Pic 18F452-I/P 40 pin chips.

Samples are free but i'm not sure if there is a postage charge now. You have to register for samples. I understand you can order up to 3 chips of any one type and up to 4 different models.

Check out their Website below.

http://www.microchip.com/samples/Def...stCookies=true

Regards.
    Bravo.

Sid
    That is the same number I found on their online store. They show about 650 in stock. Current price is $9.29

JohnW
    Thanks, John - I'm compiling the order now.

How do you connect the display trim pot? Steve PCB2 shows 4 holes ( 3 holes negative and one to pin 3 on display). Does one outer leg of the trim pot go to pin 3 and the middle and other outer to negative?

many thanks, Mike

Page 7 of 41 5678917