584,865 active members*
4,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport knee mill variants?

Hi all,

I have been considering for a while now purchasing a used Bridgeport knee mill and one day should funds allow retro fitting it for CNC control.

Looking around on the Internet etc. there seem to be a great many variants. I suppose what I am saying is if you could choose three or four types which models most lend themselves to being retro fitted?

Looking through some of these posts it would seem some models seem fine as manual machines but are more costly to convert than others.

Does anyone have a list or know of a website that lists the different models and the differences between them, I appreciate that some models are now discontinued machines.

Many Thanks,

Steve...

UK..

Quote Originally Posted by PastyPies View Post
    Hi all,

I have been considering for a while now purchasing a used Bridgeport knee mill and one day should funds allow retro fitting it for CNC control.

Looking around on the Internet etc. there seem to be a great many variants. I suppose what I am saying is if you could choose three or four types which models most lend themselves to being retro fitted?

Looking through some of these posts it would seem some models seem fine as manual machines but are more costly to convert than others.

Does anyone have a list or know of a website that lists the different models and the differences between them, I appreciate that some models are now discontinued machines.

Many Thanks,

Steve...

UK..

Steve, look at machinemanuals.net i just ordered amanual for my bp and it appears they have catalogs,etc. that might be helpfull.

steve

I know that this guy has some Bridgeport manuals.

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/manuals

I've purchased manuals from him before, and I have been very pleased with the quality. You might ask him if he has what you are looking for even if you don't see it, because seems to put new manuals out all the time.

Hope that helps,
    Steven

Quote Originally Posted by stevenp View Post
    I know that this guy has some Bridgeport manuals.

http://www.ozarkwoodworker.com/manuals

I've purchased manuals from him before, and I have been very pleased with the quality. You might ask him if he has what you are looking for even if you don't see it, because seems to put new manuals out all the time.

Hope that helps,
    Steven
    hi steven, thanks for the info.
    i checked and he doesn't have a manual for my machine. i recieved my manual on cd today from the other site and it is specific for my machine, but it is maint. and trouble shooting, no instructions for programing.

steve

I've noticed a few people are suggesting buying old CNC mills with duff or outdated controllers and just updating the control gear.

Am I right in thinking that you can't just slap some stepper motors onto a standard manual mill and start machining without upgrading the lead screws etc which is why it is preferable to get a machine already setup for CNC control even though it my be ancient?

Apologies if theses questions sound somewhat dumb, but I am somewhat new to this CNC retro fitting stuff.

Steve...