585,975 active members*
4,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Finish Cutting pass.

Finish Cutting pass.

I am using Mastercam 9, Sherline Mill. 1/8 ball cutter.

So I am cutting a Rough cavity (.9 deep ) at .030 thou spacing, when I pass with a finishing pass it goes directly to the bottom of the cavity, my cutter binds on the cavity wall because it’s a ball cutter, and the shank, which has no flutes binds. I can think of many work arounds like manual editing, but maybe someone has experienced this and knows how to fix it. I use a ball cutter because the cavity is dish shaped, like a tire track in the mud.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Maxwell View Post
    I am using Mastercam 9, Sherline Mill. 1/8 ball cutter.

So I am cutting a Rough cavity (.9 deep ) at .030 thou spacing, when I pass with a finishing pass it goes directly to the bottom of the cavity, my cutter binds on the cavity wall because it’s a ball cutter, and the shank, which has no flutes binds. I can think of many work arounds like manual editing, but maybe someone has experienced this and knows how to fix it. I use a ball cutter because the cavity is dish shaped, like a tire track in the mud.
    Try setting the cutter size very slightly larger, so that the cutter stays away from the wall by the radiuis of this extra amount. You may have to fudge the cutter depth too, as it may try to miss the bottom as well.

After looking at MC9, try changing the arbor diameter in the tool setup. Make it closely match what your cutter shape is.
    I believe the arbor part will be non cutting.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Good Ideas, I will try them. Thanks.