585,894 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Add US made laser module to Chinese laser?

What would it take to add a U.S. made, long lasting laser module to a Chinese built laser. My purpose is not to compare the technologies or merits of each type but to see what it would actually take. Would one have to discard all the laser related electronics including laser power supply? Are the different laser types driven in the same manner or is that different too?

Also would one then have to change the control board that receive's the code from the software. In other words, is the motion control system linked to the laser control system and would one have to replace the whole thing? And in that case, how would that affect the software needed.

My laser uses imported linear guide rails and good quality stepper motors and the optics are easy to upgrade if needed. Backlash etc. is very minimal and easily controlled through software if needed. The weak link is the need to change the glass tube every year or so. It seems that the electronic components should all be redily available and modular. The technology is has been around for quite a while now and the modular components should be available. The laser module I expect is the biggest cost.

My laser manufacturer offers a "metal" tube. Do these degrade at the same rate as the glass tubes? Am I just better off replacing the tube every 8 - 12 months at the cost of $300 or so?

A metal tube is a huge boon over glass... easy to refill. There's nothing directly preventing you from doing the swap, so long as you realize that most Chinese lasers are typically analog control (i.e., turn a power knob by hand) and not under software control rather than the more useful PWM of most US laser systems. If the replacement tube is able to be controlled with a knob, you're good to go, otherwise you'll need some extra toys. Easiest is to create a small circuit that will provide an analog-to-PWM interface, still not under software control. If you change the software, you'll most likely need to change the electronics, as well, as typical Chinese software is heavily tied to the drive electronics.
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    A metal tube is a huge boon over glass... easy to refill. There's nothing directly preventing you from doing the swap, so long as you realize that most Chinese lasers are typically analog control (i.e., turn a power knob by hand) and not under software control rather than the more useful PWM of most US laser systems. If the replacement tube is able to be controlled with a knob, you're good to go, otherwise you'll need some extra toys. Easiest is to create a small circuit that will provide an analog-to-PWM interface, still not under software control. If you change the software, you'll most likely need to change the electronics, as well, as typical Chinese software is heavily tied to the drive electronics.
    Thanks for the reply. My machine does have software PWM frequency control which I am able to adjust. I think it defaults to 20 000 (hz I assume). So the main advantage to having a metal tube is the ability to refill easily? What about the long tube life specs of the U.S. built tubes?

Chinese glass tubes = 1000 hours (maybe)
    USA RF modulated tubes = 20,000 - 50,000 hours
    I have had both and will never get another glass tube again.
    Others have had good results with the glass but not me. Pity.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Quote Originally Posted by MonoNeuron View Post
    Chinese glass tubes = 1000 hours (maybe)
    USA RF modulated tubes = 20,000 - 50,000 hours
    I have had both and will never get another glass tube again.
    Others have had good results with the glass but not me. Pity.
    That's a huge difference. Is it a straight swop or is modification required to substitute a RF tube? And what do they average in price? Mine's a 60W...or so the specs say.

The US metal tubes are a lot more money, my 45 watt was $2,300 until recently when the manufacturer dropped it to $1,100, possibly in response to the Chinese competition. While my Epilog was advertised at 11,000 hour life the first tube had to be replaced on warranty at about 2,000 hours, that replacement lasted about 3,000 hours and I had to pay for the replacement. The latest one is now at about 4,000 and still going (knocking on wood). In both cases for me the proprietary electronics added to the tube failed, rather than running out of CO2, and the manufacturer does not refill them but sells you one that's new or refurbished on the shelf.

Depending on your luck it could be more cost effective to just buy new glass tubes as they wear out.

joe, where are you getting your metal tubes from? That $1,100 for a 45W sounds like a really good price, and I wouldn't mind picking up something like that. I'm hoping they sell larger tubes, too, say 80-100W...

Last time I checked the 45 watt Universal laser tubes were over 5,000.00...exactly what tube are you talking about that is 1100.00 now? I am skeptical...

I'm talking about the proprietary 45 watt tube for my Epilog Legend, and the price is from Epilog in Colorado. This was quoted to me by their staff. The 25 watt was $995.

I don't know if they would sell to non-Epilog owners or not. Certainly not at that price because they require the old tube to be sent back, in fact charge a large deposit on it before shipping the new one.

Well that's a huge difference! You have to have a laser before they'll send you one. I thought you meant they sold you one outright, not replaced what you currently have. With metal tubes, they can refurb all day for a low turn-around cost.

You got my hopes up

If changing a co2 glass tube for RF, you must change the mirrors and lens? thanks

ermmmmm a REFILL of Gas can be had between $1,100 and $3,000 but an RF unit and all it's associated hardware is going to cost a LOT more than that to buy as a unit.

Start thinking $5,000 to 6,000 $ for a low power one and maybe $20,000 for a higher power model and you will be getting closer to the mark.

Many / Most Chinese machines are DSP / PWM controlled.

The lens and mirrors are fine for either DC excited or RF excited, the only real difference is in polarisation of the beam and it's TE Mode.

Are they reliable.....Read "UP TO" 30,000 hours, ask your supplier to warrant them for that 30,000 hours and I'd bet they don't

Swapping out DC glass tubes is the easy option for me rather than two yearly re-gasses at up to $2,000 a time.

The other consideration is relative cost, do you really want to put a $10,000 source in what amounts to a 50 bucks cabinet?

best wishes

Dave

The 20-30k hours is total bull. I have gone through about 15 RF tubes (mostly 30w), most have lasted about 2-3 years (5-7hrs a day, 200 working days a year , round 3000 hours at best.) My Coherent tubes have cost me round $4k to replace/service/whatever and the Synrads a little less.
    I got sick and tired of doing so , so am now replacing any RF tubed laser which is faulty with chinese machines (for the same or a little more money I get 2x tables size and more than double power.)
    Apart from tubes , stuff like mirrors , lenses , motors and motherboards have also costa-mi-plenti , the chinese equivalents are 1/2 or less than that.

I too am dreaming of a 200W+ Power laser cutter, but the price is just overblown. For the price of an RF Tube I can get 3 complete chinese machines! (That price is not an exaggeration.) So with quality chinese laser tubes like RECI (Actually Taiwanese) there is really no reason to buy an overpriced RF Tube, unless you want high powers. The RECI tubes come with an 10.000 hours warranty, although I don't know if my first tube lasted that long, but that's mostly because I let the tube work over 80% power most of the time. Glass tubes have shorter work and shelf life, but if you make the math, you are better off with a glass tube.