585,974 active members*
4,368 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Series 1 Heidenhain TNC151A won't power up

I just purchaced a Series I with the TNC151A controller. It originaly cam as 460 power and I have converted over to 220. I think I have done all the corrrect connections? I have a phase converter and have swithed the legs around a couple of times to see if that's the problem. I can't get anything to work, nothing will power up and I keep blowing the 1amp fuse in the back of the Heidenhain control?

I read on this site that it might not power up if it low on oil?? Can any one help. Thanks Sam

If it is blowing the fuse on the Heid unit the fault is nothing to do with low lube.I would check the input voltages very carefully.
    Mark.

If you have never seen it run it is possible the power supply has gone south. Check the voltages first as mentioned

I have checked the voltages to the heid unit at pins 8 and 9 and have the correct 110 voltage, the fan is the only thing that will operate.

I have checked the 24 voltage at 116 and 90 an it is a little high 32v
    Also checked at 65 and 90 and have the correct 24v.

I'm new to this machine, but have spent many hours trying to figure things out, I have all the original manuals.

Should the machine run even if the fuse on the Heid is blown?
    Thanks Sam

I thing 32 is more than 'a little' high

recheck your transformer jumpers/ connections

machine will do nothing without the control

Maybe I sould look at replacing the voltage regulator? Thanks for the info.

tnc 151

Sam

30 -32 volts on 90 116 are correct. that is un regulated voltage. the transformer output voltage is 30 volts. 24 volts on 90 and 65 is regulated voltage.

line 1 and line 2 MF 1 and MF 2 should be the fuses that have 220 Volts without the converter running MF3 only has voltage there with the converter on if you are using a rotary converter. it will be less than 200 volts.
    if you had the converter hooked up wrong you may have let the magic smoke out something.
    Just my uneducated opinion I am by no means an expert.

Doug s

Thanks for the info Doug. The bridgeport manual says the DC voltage between 116 and 90 sould be 24-28 volts. Also says the smoothed DC voltage between 65 and 90 should be 22-26 volts.

Is this not correct?

Hi. I just started to think of this problem so dont take anything I say as gospel....takes a few days for my brain to reach altitude.....anyway...dont forget to look at the voltage setting that is located on the back of the heid 151 control.....you may have it set wrong ..look in the bottom left corner at the back.....did the control function before you got it home and altered anything ? DONT replace the fuse with another until you figure things out...no matter how frustrated you become...as the guys here have taught me...a little patience and you will have a control that is worth the effort.

TNC 151

Promodsam

I couple extra volts on 116 and 90 will not make any difference all that circut runs is some selenoids and lites as in the previous post check the voltage selector on the back of the TNG if that is correct unplug all the resolvers and joy stick from the TNG maybe you have a short in the wiring and not a problem in the TNG.
    I have lots of spare parts if you need I converted a series 1 to Mach 3 Mill

Doug S

I have checked the back of the controller the voltage is set to 120. I will try to unplug everything from the control and see if the fuse keeps blowing. I have been on the mach 3 website, looks like good stuff.

I'm new to the cnc world, would I be better off switching to the Mach 3 instead of learning the 151?

How complicate is it to change over to the Mach 3?

Thanks Sam

re

That depends if you want a project or a machine. The 151 is a solid control that will run for years. Some of the retroed 'improvements' run half as fast and the owners are constantly in need of assistance.

I have to go with Gus on this one.....If you want a pretty graphical interface the new pc run software looks great...but realize this....underneath the pictures..the control must do the very thing that the heid was developed to do....My limited knowledge says get the heid control to work.....do your designs on a pc with a program you like and then have the heid do the final part of the job. This is what I am working on.....I am NOT any sort of expert though....so take my opinion for what its worth

You will not improve the machine by retrofitting it with Mach and that will bring it`s own problems.Get it repaired and enjoy cutting metal.There are plenty guys on here know enough about them to get you going if you are prepared to do a bit testing.
    I am not a lover of Bridgeports but I`ve yet to see a Heidenhain controlled Bridgeport being improved by retrofitting Mach.
    Mark.

Bridge port to Mach 3

If you absolutly can not get the Heidenhaden working and this is not a production machine then convert it. I did an interact series 2 to geckos with mach 3 it works fine.I can't get 200 IPM but how often do you need that speed on a hobby machine.

Doug

The TNC151 has plug in boards, including a power supply board. They are accessed by removing the top of the control. 5 small silver philips head screw is I remember correctly. The control switches the 24 VDC internally, it is not used for actually running the control logic. The control also powers the CRT. Unplug the CRT first as it is more prone to problems than the control and may be the reason the fuse is blowing. It could be the control or it could be a bad power supply board. A check out at Heidenhain may be in order. I hope you have a backup of your parameters.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)