585,992 active members*
5,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!
Page 1 of 2 12

Don't Waste your time and money on a Carvewright or Compucarve!!!

I have gone through 3 machines, all horrible in one way or another, no reliability, bought the Centerline (vector) text add on, and carvewright will not refund the add on, even though I did not receive a worthwhile product to use it with. Agreeably, it's considerably cheaper than other CNCs, but even then, I'd expect it to be useable for more than three projects. (the 2nd one actually lasted 3 projects.)

1st machine-
    burned through flex shaft sleeve- first project

2nd machine-
    cut motor error
    blew a hole in the dust bag
    drilled through indexing sensor
    burned all the wood I tried to use CL with

3rd machine-
    x axis overload- first project
    x axis off 1/4"- first project
    cut motor error- second project
    drilled through indexing sensor- second project

I called and spoke with Lisa (customer service) and then Michelle (CS supervisor)- Michelle was very curteous, Lisa had a case of mistaken identity- told me I had just called- but was otherwise amicable. I am trying to get a refund on the centerline text, as it was purchased in good faith the LHR could provide a worthwhile, reliable machine. Of course, they say it is non refundable and that's that. I have filed a claim with the BBB and am looking at any other legal recourse. If anyone is interested or has information, feel free to PM me.

The carvewright gives great results- when it works. It's just not functional enough of the time to be a worthwhile purchase for $1700. If you have the perseverance and patience to have a brick a good majority of the time, have fun.

-Michael

The way I look at it, you can build a better, larger and faster machine here at the zone for cheaper. Check out the diy forum

Thumbs up CW or CC

Ditto, biggest tooling mistake in my life. Glad it's gone. At least building one, you have an idea of how to repair it v.s sending it back to their shop, over and over again.

MSG

Yea I looked at one at sears, and the quality of the machine wsas not what i thought it would be, from their video it looked sturdy, but in person it looked cheap quality to me and i could not see how such a machine would ever last me. maybe for the occasional hobbiest.

But for me DIY will give me a sturdier and much much larger machine. look at my 4x4 I'm building now.

joe

don'y kill em!!

that little machine (while i absolutly agree with this thread) taught me cnc
    yes it is a hobby machine and thats exactly what they tell you when you buy it!! yes i have had to repair mine and keep going. and yes while i now have a 4x8 with 5.5 spindle. i hope i do not place false expectations on the carve wright

and what i really want is thier software, it is absolutly uncomplicated and extremly user friendly and when made available to the general public is going to sell the pxss out of the table tops and self builts as well as other machines dissussed here

if he gets his machine upgraded a little or alot sombodys gonnaa be facing
    some real competition
    cabnet

ps

it aint the crappy little truck on z or the machine but the tracktor feed pressure roller system that turns y axis into 144 inches plus.

gee carved linear molding!!
    cabnet

!st machine shame on them... 2nd machine shame on you ....3dr machine what were you thinking?? or do you just enjoy the pain

here it is

dude if you just look at the thing long enough:stickpoke:stickpoke:violin:

but seriously it's been afun thing and while i am not in the habit of throwing away 2000.00 the lesson has been invaluable

it is not a business machine, i hear of these guys taking two or three of these things to fairs or flea markets. it can take 30minutes to 1 hour to do a small sign. were as a 30x20 table top with a decent router and steppers will
    take 5 min +/-
    cabnet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0151.JPG   IMG_0150.JPG   IMG_0160.JPG   IMG_0152.JPG  

IMG_0153.JPG   IMG_0155.JPG  

oh but

the software

if we could just get them to sell it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0166.JPG   IMG_0162.JPG  

I have owned a CW (CompuCarve) for more than a year now. It has been a great machine. ANYTIME I have heard, "I have went through X machines", it signals an inexperienced operator who won't take the time to learn the machine. It also bugs me to read posts where folks take the time to gripe but never follow up when the MFG (any MFG) takes care of them.

In my own experience it has been a great machine backed by a good company who has been there to stand behind their product. They are a new company who has gone through some growing pains but they always seem to try to make the customer happy.

I would agree with Jeff-Birt, the machine is designed to be used in a certain way, as long as you use it in this manor you should have a good little machine, for me I need something that can run many hours with no hick-ups, and more of a stepup type machine, thats why i built my CNC 4x4 Hybrid, which is a little more more expensive than the cravewrite (about 500 or so, plus my software).

As mentioned its just depends what you want to do with the machine.

Joe

Okay, why don't we break this down to simpler terms as far as reliability- If I was using my Unisaw (Delta 10" cabinet saw to those that aren't aware- not trying to be condescending, but some peole might not know what one is) and ran my hand over the blade, cutting off my fingers, that would be my stupidity, my inexpereince, my problem. If I where to be using my unisaw and the arbor snapped off, sending a 10" blade spinning at my head at 3450RPM, That is obviously manufacturer error.

Now, to the CW- if I were complaining about the user interface, or how hard it was to set up, or something of that nature, that would be my inexperience and stupidity. Now, if you go over the problems of the three machines, how do you explain operator error? For the first machine, it's a known problem that isn't told to the consumer unless you really look- there's an official announcement on burned flex shafts at the CW home forum, yet nothing on the main web page for the manufacturer. Come on- crappy material used in the dust bag so that the blower motor was able to blow a hole in it- Do tell, how could any of this be construed as operator error?

For those that haven't used it, the CW has some potential if they can get the manufacturing taken care of. When it was working, the results were pretty good. It's a hobby machine and should be understood as such. With that in mind though, it must be admitted that there's some problems with it. Carvewright themselves have admitted that on initial roll out for the first year of production their return/repair rate was about 15%. That's a heck of a lot of returned machines, and for most companies, would be deemed a failure. This is the only product of LHR, and thus, cannot be written off as a failure and taken back to the drawing board.

Something else for potential buyers to know is that the software is quite limited. Easy to use and user friendly, but limited in scope- it seems they're adding models and whatnot to the functionality, but you can't properly import any cut patterns. Keep that in mind.

The 1,2,3 comment is accurate. I should have abandoned hope and walked away before the third unit, but I wanted to believe that it was a fluke.

If you're having luck with yours, more power to you. I'm glad you were able to get a good one. For potential buyers, keep in mind that after 200 cut hours, the warranty is up and LHR won't speak to you for free, let alone help you with problems.

-Michael

And whatever you do, don't buy a used one. If you buy used, you get no warranty whatsoever and you can't even buy extended warranty.

Reason I say this is because I was looking at a used one.

Wade

jeff

at the end of the day

the machine needs to be redesigned

the software needs to be renamed and sold to the hobbiest cnc market where it will write in g code

jim mcgrew

Carvewright themselves have admitted that on initial roll out for the first year of production their return/repair rate was about 15%. ....For potential buyers, keep in mind that after 200 cut hours, the warranty is up and LHR won't speak to you for free, let alone help you with problems.

-Michael
    This is simply, completely, and totally untrue. I don't know what the return rate was anymore than you do, but I can guarantee that it was no where around 15%. As for phone support, This very issue was addressed a few weeks ago on the CW forum and the official word from CW is that phone support is always free, warranty or not. If you are down on the machine fine, but please don't pull this type of crap out of your butt and expect folks to fall for it.

Its a great machine for the money and for the intended purpose (it's a hobby machine). If you need an industrial machine then no, it's not what you need and you would probably never be happy with it. No more than I would be happy with a Tiag mini-mill in my lab when I really need the two full size Enco's (BP clones) that I have.

I have also found personally, and by all credible accounts by others, that CW is a great company to deal with. They do stand behind what they sell and make an honest effort to make people happy. I also know from my own experience as a field service engineer working on very large CNC equipment that you can't please everybody. Some folks just rant and rave and act like they are two years old, no matter what you do.

Buy cheap and you get what you pay for. I hate it when it does that. I have learned quite a few hard lessons about trying to make something cheap do an expensive job.
    If I wanted a machine to be able to be used for many hours I would forgo the hobby realm and head to the production type machines. It hard to tell if you don't have the experience with machine building or manufacturing experience. I have seen lots of failures on machinery due to miss application. some times it's just not engineered well enough for the application, sometimes it is poor design, and some times it is operator error. The latter is the hardest to fix.

since we have reopened the subject

i have a carvewright, after 25 years in cabinetmaking i was eating lunch with the guys and on the tv came the "compucarve" i had to have it, (believe me i have thrown away greater amounts of money) i thought if it would just do a few parts then what the heck!! well it did do much more and i do like it, i made signs for my farm and business, even christmas presents!! i got to wondering if it would do shelf pin holes and whu was it not wide enough to accommadate a 24 inch cabinet side. gee, at this point i wondered why i did not own a cnc and in early november 07 i came to cnc zone and now own a 4x8 camaster and have ordered another one with a tool changer etc.

the carvewright is what it is!! theres a guy on ebay selling the lightest little cnc with a indexer for 1900.00 that uses a rotozip, i think the biggest problem is if you have found your way here to cnc zone then buy a cnc router
    romax, joes, there are several. the carvewright has a forum for those who love and use it but you will find limitations in disscussing it here as it is very propietary and does not mingle well with non proprietary cnc. sorta like shopbot.

again package the software under a different name and sell it.

my carvewright is sitting in a corner and i will probably give it to on of my uncles who is just right for the carvewright type of guy!!

OT, but I have been using 2 of the MPSpro (Taig CNC) machines; one for over 8 years, one for 4. They are small machines, but still work excellent. Awhile ago I had a problem with the 8 year old one; Kurt is sending me out a new board so it can use the same software as the newer one.

They are far from a hobby machine; but not quite industrial.

Can you send me a link about your machines? I would like a slightly larger 3rd one without going full size...

I too brought a CompuCarve from Sears a few years ago. Biggest mistake i ever made. After one successful project the machine broke down. It went back to CarveWright and was there for 3 weeks. When it returned i started a new project and it stopped working within 2 hours. I was again asked to return the machine and as the original packaging was now too damages i had to purchase an $80. replacement box along with mailing cost.

This time it was away for 6 weeks, 2 phone inquires as to how long it would take to repair were met with curt and rude responses. As the machine was now out of warranty i had to pay hundreds of $ on top of the freight costs. This time when i started yet another project the machine lasted 15 minutes and died again. I called their tech guy but he was unable to help and i just gave up, now the machine sits as an expensive door stop. People keep saying its a hobby machine but its not even that, i got one project complete at a cost that exceeded $2500.00.

In 45 years of using every sort of machine from watchmakers lathes to CNC Bridgeports and beyond i have never had a tool create such disappointment and expense without being at least somewhat useful.

I would earnestly recommend anyone contemplating the purchase of a Compucarve or Carve Wright search the internet, Sears website [ame="http://www.amazon.com/CarveWright-Carvewright-N01-Woodworking-System/dp/B000WA7FTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297471505&sr=8-1"]Amazon[/ame] and the Better Business Bureau to read all the complaints and if you still insist on throwing away your hard earned money try e-bay where they have used machines from $500 upwards.

New Version C

VERY OLD Bad reviews on the CompuCarve/CarveWright and some newly posted memories of experiences that happened years ago. It's time to look at what is now being said about the new Version C machine:

Well look at that.... 33 Posts chasing a 3 inch tail Pilot Error... LOL....

Glad you got it working correct.... I see a former 3 inch sled getting the Fire Wood Treatment...

Well, at least is was a Troubleshooting Post.... Darn Machine is getting so reliable that it is putting the Maytag Repairman like me out of business... LOL...

AL
    Older A & B models can also be upgraded to the new CarveTight Spindle.
    Sales & Marketing Manager for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright.

Page 1 of 2 12