585,996 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Gang tooling vs turret

I'm deciding on which CNC lathe to get.

One under consideration is an Omniturn GT 75 (or Jr version), both of which are gang tooled.

The other lathes I am looking at (mainly used) all have a tool turret for changing tools in a program.

Most of my stuff is less than 1" dia. by 5" long. I would like the capability to cut longer stuff as needed.

I'm a newbie with CNC lathes. In the pictures, it looks like that I can only cut something a few inches long with a gang tooled machine. Am I wrong? Can you cut a part up to 9" long (Z axis movement on the Omni) with gang tooling and not run the part into the tool holder?

Anyone have an opinion one way or the other for or against gang tooling vs a turret?

Thanks

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong, I believe with a gang slide it all depends on how you set it up. If you had a single post on both sides, say on one side have a turning tool, and the other side a cut off tool, with a group of gang tools in the center but room enough for the work piece to pass through when turning and cutting would work for a piece unsupportted by a tailstock.

Best bet would be to talk to each of the companies reps/salespersons, I am sure they could show you the capabilities of each machine.

most of my experience is with turret lathes, but have used platen ' gang tooling ' lathes as well.

i have found that turret lathes offer more flexibility than platens, you can do large diameter work or long shafts using running centre.

platens can be quicker 'no tool changes' and more accurate but seem to be limited on size length of work. - i used to do long runs with close limits.

you can also keep dedicated tools on a platen and remove/return to the m/c with everything 'set'

if you want to know how long a job you can do read the specs for the m/c - it should state max turning length max turned dia etc... but bear in mind the usual number of tools you use to make your components, how crowded the platen will become

only you know your work load and types of prts you make, - if you are a subby then bear in mind a new customer may bring different work.

get the m/c tool dealer to put you in contact with some one who's got a m/c already and ask them about por's/cons likes/dislikes of the m/c

ST

SLIDE

I have the perfect machine for you,,,, 1998 yang sl-12 slide type machine
    with 6inch hydraulic chuck,, a-5 collet nose,,mitsubishi control runs perfect.
    I will be taking out of service soon.

We use for 2nd ops,,,

Bad dog