585,973 active members*
4,237 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Where to buy quality limit switches?

Where to buy quality limit switches?

Where can I get some quality switches?

THanks

I got mine from Automation Direct. As I remember, they were about USD$12 and coolant resistant. Pretty good specs on repeatability and life expectency.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Here is an ebay seller that sells a range of switches. (among other junk)

http://stores.ebay.com/Claraworld

Greg

I am using omron proximity switches, available at www.mouser.com, www.mcmaster.com, etc.

Matt

What type of mechanism would you reccomend or are using? I see roller type levers often, simple push buttons and stuff.

I prefer to use something that will allow "over travel". This would include the lever and roller types. If something goes wrong with a simple pushbutton, you may destroy the switch!
    I use both mechanical and optical types depending on the situation. The ones exposed to coolant, are sealed and the others are guarded. On my Z axis (which are out of usual swarf and coolant range) are simple micro switches (lever type).
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

You can use a ramp to activate a button, which would let it bypass the switch.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nerd View Post
    What type of mechanism would you reccomend or are using? I see roller type levers often, simple push buttons and stuff.
    There are a lot of "IFs" here Mr Nerd.

Cleanliness or otherwise of the operating environment. Preferred mounting method. Preferred actuating method. Availability of required operating voltage (prox sensors).

Whether you want them to be homing switches as well. If so what accuracy you need. Noise limiting requirements.

I use photo interrupters on my mill. In a very protected situation from coolant and swarf.

On a router I use dust proof roller type mechanical switches running with 12v to reduce the noise issues you will get from NC contacts on 5v.

Best if you do a bit of research on the options. Or give specific info so that people can advise with some relevance.

Greg

My all aluminum homemade router is aluminum homemade router is almost completed. I plan to be machining mainly wood, plastic, and some aluminum. I planning to use 6 limit switches and using 3 of them to double duty as a homing switch. I think, in my particular case, very accurate homing is nessessary but im looking for something "decent" perhaps, +/- .005- of an inch would be great. Im planning to get some micro switches but am considering getting better ones for more accurate homing. I have seen others using cheap micro switches with fairly good results.

If you want to buy a swicth ONCE and NEVER EVER again, buy some Honeywell "microswitches". Look for part number 914CE.

These are hermetcially sealed and "lifetime" buy grade. There are NOT junk and truly commercial quality. They are sealied and essentially bulet proof. FAR, far superior to any of the electronic store parts that Mouser/Digikey sells. If you're lucky, you can find them on e-bay or other surplus outlets.

Be forewarned, they are NOT cheap. You'll find them on Fanuc, GE and other commercial CNC machines. But, once installed, they are pretty much over and done with FOREVER.

Mr Nerd

Have a look at these switches. In your case I would go for something like this.

Ebay numbers 180186848422 and 180122950046

The first one would be OK.

The second one has better dust proofing and can be had with cross roller or conventional roller.

In a lot of setups you can use one switch per axis and have it travel with the axis. Need a fixed actuating ramp at each end.

Greg

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I know what kinda im looking for now. I actually saw a set of 6 used honeywell switches on ebay for 80$ buy it now. I dont that much quality though for this machine. I think im going to buy the AAP2T35Z11 ones from automationdirect simalar to what bubba has for homeing and ill use some cheapo micro switchs for limits.