585,917 active members*
3,598 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Town labs TL 512

I am new to cnc-zone, I am looking for cnc mill and can't decide between the sieg x-3 and the townlabs TL512. There is quite a bit of info on the x-3, but i can't find any feedback on the TL512. Townlabs machine is advertized to be made of cast iron, but compares in weight to the alum machines (170 lbs). Townlabs machine has servo motors, most other machines have stepper motors, which is better.

The TL512 is a revamped Harbor Freight micromill (Sieg X1) THose show up on ebay all the time - I'm not too excited about a 1/5 hp refiited drill, tacked on to a heaver base
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47158

http://www.siegind.com/Products/blac...ng-machine.htm

Sieg Has its own CNC version of that machine now its called KX1, but its only avalible though smithy in the USA right now (I dont like the Smithy CNC Warranty - read it close before you get too interested), other places can get dealer info through Sieg
    http://www.siegind.com/cnc_machine.pdf

Townlabs TL 512

DonF Thanks for your reply. I belive taht the TL512 has more XY travel than the X1, but I did not like the way head bolts to the base,very small.What is the best bet,I need a min of 12 X 6 Y travel and will be cutting mostly alum. I know where i can get a X-3 4axis about 1000 more than the TL 512. Will the X-3 cut alum and not take all night. Thanks again.

I found this post about the TL mill....

Quote Originally Posted by allanjs View Post
    Pretorien,
    I own one of those mills listed on ebay and sold by alexbrod.
    It is an extremely light duty mill and a lousy drilling machine.
    The cnc electronics are way higher quality and price than what
    is needed. The machine starts as a Harbor Freight mill. Supposedly
    made by Sieg but I think they are Sieg's rejects. Plastic gears in the
    head that don't take much abuse at all. I can't count how many times
    I have replaced or repaired them. Thanks to Littlemachineshop.com I
    keep a supply on hand. The spindle motor is way light duty
    and I had to change to slow-blow fuses. Alex changes the table to
    a much larger one. That is a good thing although the quality is poor.
    Does not have ball screws and the backlash is horrible. The programmable
    indexer is very sloppy POS. I have had to repair mine a number of times.
    My advise is step up to at least the x2 if not even x3 or super x3 and
    cnc it yourself. By the way, it will handle up to a 1/2" shank tooling.
    I do not mean for this posting to reflect badly in any way on alexbrod.
    His role in this is cnc'ing the machine and as I stated earlier the electronics
    are top quality for a machine this size. The mechanics of the x1 just don't
    don't cut it. I do use mine on an almost daily bassis and it has payed
    for itself a few time over, but not without a lot of frustration and it just
    can't mill fast. Depending on material and depth of cut etc. the best I get
    is 3 IPM feed rates. Also, if you need parts from harbor Freight, it takes
    months.
    Al

I have one of these with mach controller and bobcad V21 and V22. It works. It is low end. I also have a bridgeport clone RAM MILL, 14 x 30 x4 work cube with a anilam 3100 servo controller. And a Techno-isle gantry mill 20 x 39 x 6. That is all I can use to compare the TL512 to.
    The Z axis on the Tl512 is a dove tail. The ball screw mounts on the back. When the Z axis moves some thing like backlash occurs. If the gibbs are to tight it become worses. One way surface cuts give the best finnish. The low quality soft cast iron ways seem to work fine. 5.5 by 12 is the limit of XY. It think stepper motors on this machine would also work. I think any machine with type of dovetail on the Z axis will have this problem.

We have a new model, TL518.
    We used Z-axis column from X2 in the previous model, TL512. It wasn't bad but required periodic adjustments. We also used a Chinese DC spindle motor, which was not powerful enough and we had some complains.
    With TL518 we moved totally out of any Chinese machine components.
    From the first model we had learned, responded to our customers complains and suggestions and corrected some mistakes. This what we did over the years:
    TL501 incorporated Sieg vertical parts. We replaced only the X/Y table. The larger table has ACME lead screws with backlash.
    TL501BFP was the same but we replaced ACME lead screws on X/Y table with fine pitch 1/2-20 threaded rods, the same as used currently on Taig.
    TL501B incorporated spindle belt drive in order to increase RPM. Other thing are the same as in previous model.
    TL511DNM was the same as TL501B with an addition of double leadnut to compensate for backlash.
    TL512. In this model we replaced all lead screws with ball screws and ball nuts. Z-column and spindle motor remained the same.
    TL518 has all ball screws and we switched to a linear motion shafts on Z-axis. The spindle motor is now generic 27000 RPM, brush type universal motor with 3/8" timing belt train to a spindle.
    I would like thank everyone for your comments.
    Alex, Townlabs

Hi everyone on cnczone! I 'am basically in to egraving business , I was searching 4 the same on various sites ,but cnc engravings I found are very light for machining on metals ,so i decided to go for mini cnc mill I saw all configurations of Taig,Seig,Sherline,Maxxcnc,proxxon,townslab. but after reading forrums i'am bit confused which machine 'll give me better life ,accuracy & after sale service.pl show me better way.
    DEEPAK