584,805 active members*
5,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Horizontal mill - Information needed

I thought you guys might be the only ones that may be able to give me any of the information that I need. Thank you in advance for any responses! I realize this is not a woodworking mill

BTW: I am new to any kind of machining and just learning so I apologize for any incorrect information.

-----------------------------------

I just purchased a vertical mill and horizontal from a friend. The mill belonged to his grandfather who passed away.

Very little information is known about the horizontal mill.
    I was just wondering if anyone had any information at all about this mill. Just general information.

I am uploading pictures of the mill to http://www.skywasyellow.com/horizontal

I have uploaded the pictures without shrinking them, if you would like a smaller picture you can simply download to your desktop and view them in your own picture viewer.

Once again thank you in advance for any responses!

-Ronnie

That looks like a sturdy m/c you should have fun with that...im quite fond of milling but am not shure what is is you need to know...Have you had it set-up (electrical work done) Are your feeds operating? What is your RPM on spindle?

your a lucky guy...i would love to have that in my garage LOL:wave:

They both have 110v motors on them. They are both setup with 1 1/2 hp motors. I am not sure if the feeds operate or not. I just got them home yesterday.

Are you having troubles setting up? If not its such an old machine that evertything will be VERY basic...but by the looks of it from you should be ablr to do just about anything on her...from cutting sqares to gear cutting. What exactly do youhope to do with these mills?
    I am no expert myself...but in manual machining, milling is definatly my strongest subject
    Steph

I personally had no intention on buying the horizontal, just the verticle. Then I was told $200 each and bought them both. I figure I could use the Horizontal to spline axles.

-Ronnie

At 200 bones im shure it will be worth it! That machine looks perfect for what you need...get back to me when shes good to go...interested to hear how it runs

The only thing I could find, was the Strong, Carlisle & Hammond Machinery Co of the early 1900's. This may be prior to 1924 vintage since Turney never shows up in the records. Oh, if those machines could only talk of the things they've experienced.

Starting your own museum? Heheh!

They do look cool....even better imagined all dolled up in new paint.

DC

Yeah, I intend on getting them a couple of coats of paint this winter. I could only imagine what these machines have seen..

Thanks for the info!