585,981 active members*
4,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > Hobbycnc or Xylotex driver board?

Hobbycnc or Xylotex driver board?

Hi!
    Im undecided on a 4 axis driver board for a X2 Modifide mill im puting together.
    My mill table is 6"wide 18" long/with 5/8 T Slots. "X" will travel 18" max.
    And the "Y" is 8" max well may be 9" pushing it. The screws moving table are 5/8 Dia 20TPI.
    I want to use it to make GUN parts. So i will be milling 4130 steel.
    Im thinking Mach 3 CNC software?
    Ok now for my qestions.
    Why purchase a Hobbycnc board? Cheaper in price Yes.
    But is a Xylotex board better?
    And do you need anything else besides Mach 3 software,Driver board,stepper motors to set up a CNC?
    What Stepper motors do you all use on your X2 mill?
    Oh and if the person from Hobbycnc views my post. This qestion is for you.
    Why don't you use IC sockets on your board? It would make it easy to change out a blown IC? Yes I know parts cost money but its an option to think about improving your product.

HOBBYCNC =KIT
    UNIPOLAR
    3.0 Amps Maximum per Phase : Max 42 volts
    1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16 Microstepping

XYLOTEX = Plug-n-Play BiPolar
    2.5 Amps per Phase : Max 35 Volts
    1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 stepping choices

You'll find fans for both units here. I am a lotta thumbs and didn't want to have to deal with a kit.
    Have had good service from Xylotex.
    Welcome aboard :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hi High Seas
    So what is Unipolar & Bipolar?
    This mean each type of driver board can only use one type of stepper motor?
    As far as stepper motor systems Bipolar & Unipolar; Whats best for a CNC Mill?

Oldboy,
    I am up there too. I have built the Hobbycnc pro board 4 axis for my foam cutter and if you have soldered pcb's before you would have no problems. They also have there own site you can join after purchase for any help. I or we can help also on here if you have any questions.
    I am setting up my mill/drill next and need another board from Dave for it. I could use the same system but it would be a hassle changing back and forth and besides if I use the same PS I can mount the board on the mill and run a heavy cable from the PS instead of having a long run of smaller cables.
    Your question on sockets on the board I think I can answer. To me that would be a no no also as the sockets may not carry the current and also the chips are very sensitive to spikes. With a large heat sink as required I think you would blow the chips from any movement. Been there and done that and had to get another board. He also reccommends a direct connection from the board to the steppers for the same reason on the current. I did not listen but I wired 25 pin connectors on each stepper and used 4 pins jumpered on each wire so there would be a good connection. Extra expense but worth it to me for storing. I did not like the idea of a single pin connector.
    The board will not work on 4 wire steppers but will work on 6 or 8 wire which they sell. I have the 80 oz. 6 wire and also the 300 oz. 8 wire steppers.
    I have no connection with Hobbycnc other than I am a happy camper for the price of what I got.
    John