585,763 active members*
4,192 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lightbulb Would this interest anyone?

An exchange of services?

I'm currently in the process of looking for a mill. Then I have to go through the loan process(hey, I'm a working man with a family!:violin: ), purchasing tooling, etc....To be honest, it may be months, or never.

But I'd still like to have something made. I've been working on an idea for a couple of months now. And have finally done the research into final selling prices, demand, etc. And I think I could make a bit of money off this. But I don't have the money right now to have someone make these in the quantity I would like.

So, what I'm proposing is if you need any modeling or programming done, I have experience in Rhino3d and MasterCAM and will do a project or five. In return, I would like to have something made.

There are 2 pieces that I need made (quantity would depend on the modeling/programming you have for me), almost identical to each other. Overall finish dims. are 10 x 4.5 x .5. Both would need to be aluminum. And I would guestimate the time for machining to be 15-20 min. total for a machine that could cut aluminum at a decent rate. I could even do the programming on them.

Would anyone possibly be interested, or am I crazy for even thinking anyone would be interested?

Ok then, how about an RFQ for the parts? I had originally posted on a newsgroup for an RFQ, unfortunately I hadn't had all the information needed, and didn't draw much attention.

So I did a bit more research, and a bit of redesign. And have finally came up with something final.

I'm going to try and post pictures of just one of the pieces. The other piece is almost identical. If anyone is interested in quoting them, send me an email at [email protected] or a message here and I can send the cad file and notes on some of the dimensions and things.

Quantity will be 100 of both pieces. Will probably need them in intervals of 20 pieces each per month. With the posibility of more after the total 100 pieces are shipped.

And here's my attempt at posting pictures......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top.jpg  

And bottom view....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails top-t.jpg  

I'd be interested, I will PM you. What is it for and what is the tolerance?

Most tolerances will be pretty standard (+/- .01). But there are some holes that will need to be held closer. Should be able to hold them with just drilling. I doubt reaming will be needed. The surface with the pockets will need to be flat with a few thousandths. As that is where the other piece mates to. The whole thing will be polished, so surface finishes are important, but nothing I can't work around. As long as there aren't any deep scratches or dings. I'd like to have the periphery cut on both pieces at the same time (clamped together) to ensure that they will match up nicely.

Once everything is put together, it will be an "industructable" cigar case. I know, I know.....it's destructable. But bear with me. :rainfro:

When are you looking for these to be done by?

last month.

Actually I would like to have a 'sample' part of each for a test fit within a month. Some changes may be needed, however they will be small changes (nothing to cause retooling). Then probably a month after that recieve the first set.

Send me a file to [email protected]

I would have thought that making one and then casting the others would be a more cost efficient idea.
    Being outside the square !!!

IGS format ok?

Benny, that idea what suggested by someone else. He was supposed to call me. But never did. I'm not familiar with that process. Can a nice surface finish be achieved? Tolerances?

igs -yes

IGS format ok?

Benny, that idea what suggested by someone else. He was supposed to call me. But never did. I'm not familiar with that process. Can a nice surface finish be achieved? Tolerances?
    I dont know about the tolerances or anything like that. But I know they make shiney jewelery this way so I guess the finish is ok. There is an artical about casting in this forum done by Splint. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...&threadid=4666

I guess you could talk to a casting company near you about costs etc.

You will still need you original cut for you though
    Being outside the square !!!

If you're serious about getting them cast dont do any machining until you've fully discussed your part and the casting technique with the engineer at the foundry. The patterns may need to be made slightly larger than the finished componant to allow for shrinkage as the casting cools after pouring (somewhere about 2% for aluminium but the foundry would be your best source of information on that) and machining or buffing the casting also needs to be considered as varying techniques of casting will have differing surface finishes. Speak to the guys at the foundry before you do anything.
    Cheers
    Splint

if wants a decent finish then I would say a wax investment tool would be made.
    Follow splint on that there is a Shrink factor for investment casting.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .