585,758 active members*
4,572 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

need help with plasma design

Going to build a 5x10 plasma table.Im wanting it to be a drop side table.I think if these manufacture people ever had to take a 5x10 piece of 10 ga. and push it in 10 ft. they would figure out why a drop side table is so much greater.No I dont have a fork lift at this time.Im going with a plaz pak4? drives on each side,servo motors.Main frame will be 4x4 or 4x2 tubing?Not sure yet.Im having proplems figuring out the water table for this.The pan will be 4" or so deep and either s.s or aluminum.My first thought was to break the pan 4" deep with a 2" flange out and this would sit on top of the 4x2 tubing.I dont really want to tack weld the slotted angle iron for the grates to the pan.Im afraid that all the weight is pulling on the sides of the pan.Id like to no if dual-vee rails would be good or use linear rails.Thanks.

Your suggestion to use the 4" X 2" tubing to support the water tray with a 2" flange will work, & you can have the slat hangers inside the water tray as well, hanging from a similar flange.

My project log shows how this was done (in post #161) with pictures & a DXF.

A screenshot of the DXF drawing of the water pan & support for slats is in post #166.

Check it out & feel free to ask questions.

Dual vee rails with matching vee groove wheels should be suitable for X & Y axis.

As Millman mentioned, this area is for discussion & the other is for projects underway.