585,717 active members*
3,965 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Coolant leaking slowly on back of VF3

Coolant leaking slowly on back of VF3

I noticed that we are leaking some coolant out the back waste line. It seems to be coming mainly from the wiper (along the y axis). I guess by wipers I mean the plastic inserts on the end of the extending axis guards. Are these easy to install and can't I order a roll of it from Hass parts to put in myself?

You mean out the back of the machine? Thats somewhat normal, some coolant will get through from time to time. If its pouring out like a madman, then yeah you have a problem. If you insist on replacing the wipers, order the parts and install them yourself, the way covers are easy to take off.

I had that problem recently after I "took a shortcut" and neglected to apply sealant to the joint between the rear cover (Y) and the back of the table. Capillary action just sucks the coolant through there. You should be able to see it dripping underneath there when you squat down and look from the back when the machine is running, if this is the problem.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Or if some dip dunk employee doesn't keep the way covers cleaned in between parts (don't ask) the covers get distorted and then coolant leaks past the wipers and starts to flow everywhere.

Or, eventually chips build up underneath the way covers and capillary action takes over and you have lake eerie after a couple minutes!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"