584,802 active members*
4,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Miller Econotig

Hi All,

I've been considering the purchase of a TIG welding setup.

So far, the Econotig looks like its a good match.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences, good or bad, with this particular piece of hardware.

I'm sure the first question is, "what am I gonna use this for?"

At this point I plan to use it to learn more about TIG welding, (I've done Mig and some OXY) as well as for some hobbyist applications like building a recumbent bicycle and such.

Thanks.

--Mike

I have heard more people not like it than do.

I have the 180SD myself, next step up and can't complain one bit.

You always wish you had gone bigger but with that is more $$.

What do you plan to weld?

By the time you add all the extras you've ran out of machine. Go bigger! Remember about duty cycle!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Smile Thank you!!

Hey All,

Sorry for the long delay...needed a major vacation.

Anyways, thank you all for your suggestions. I've decided to listen
    to your suggestions and get something bigger.

The 180SD sounds like a winner for me.

Thanks again.

I'll let you all know my impressions once I get the little beasty.

--Mike

The econo tig is not the best welder around but what do u expect for that price. If you are only learnig it might seem pointless to get a bigger welder but once you get good you will want the best one. The biggest draw back with the econo tig is the extreanly low duty cycle and the lack of options. Go with the min of the sycro 200.

Matt

Well...from what I can tell, it's 2 years since you started looking so I'm guessing this info is a little late...but I'll contribute my $.02 for people who search for info.

The first TIG I used was the econo tig and I had to teach myself (a rental). It worked OK I guess but I needed to turn the power way way up to weld 1/4 alum. One key note...I had to wait an extra week for it to get back from service and it was almost brand new.

When I went to buy one I considered buying the same welder but I went with the Lincoln TIG 175 (Same approx price). Supposedly it was better in some way...I couldn't tell you why, but since then I have read and heard nothing but good things about it. It's worked great for me. The duty cycle might not be great for someone welding for a living, but it can handle 100% of my welding. I usually do small welds and lots of setups. Put it this way, I've never needed to stop and let it rest, even when running a 4-5 foot bead on 1/4 aluminum. Oh yea, and lots of room to turn the power up if needed.

Someday I'd like to try a really nice TIG to know what I'm missing...or maybe I don't.