585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

auto-darkening helmets

I am thinking about purchasing an auto-darkening helmet, I was wondering if the “cheap” helmets are any good? I understand you get a smaller viewing area and the “cheaper” helmets don’t perform as well as the name brand helmets. I don’t weld a lot, but I wanted to try one out.
    I guess I want to know if anyone out there is using a “cheap” helmet and if so what they think of it?

Thanks
    Marc Harmon

Quote Originally Posted by neonguy View Post
    I am thinking about purchasing an auto-darkening helmet, I was wondering if the “cheap” helmets are any good? I understand you get a smaller viewing area and the “cheaper” helmets don’t perform as well as the name brand helmets. I don’t weld a lot, but I wanted to try one out.
    I guess I want to know if anyone out there is using a “cheap” helmet and if so what they think of it?

Thanks
    Marc Harmon
    What value do you put on good eyesight?

Cheap ones work but not as reliably as higher priced ones. Having the helmet turn off because the arc has been shadowed by part of the job is disconcerting to say the least. Our cheap auto darkening helmets stay hung up and the expensive ones are used now.

i use the cheap one weld about 10hours a week no problem i like it. the cheap one you are talking about you mean the ones at harbor freight

Ya... I was looking at the 49.99 (ITEM 91214-1VGA) one that is battery powered; I don't have the best lighting and was worried about the solar powered one.

Thanks for the input

Marc

If you do not do a lot of welding then your best bet would be to stick with the non-auto helmet, the effort it takes to put the helmet up when not welding and down when welding is worth not getting flash by using a cheap helmet. Also, This may not be a problem, but depending on the type of welding you are doing the cheap helmet may not be dark enough as most are only an 11 sometimes when welding stainless or while doing long welds your eyes still hurt afterwards. As Geof said if the helmets sensor is blocked by a bar, arm, or anything else that makes a shadow and it cannot "see" the weld then the helmet will not darken right away.
    As a side note, the helmets solar power mostly comes from the light generated from welding, but if you do not use it very often the battery powered version may be better, as long as you always have fresh batteries.

Exactly

The solar battery gets it power from welding not ambient light.
    The cheap ones work fine but IMO your helmet should be conditional on the work you do.
    Welding laying under a car you need an auto helmet because there is no room to "flip" a regular helmet.
    For TIG weldin you will need an expensive auto helmet, the cheap ones are not sensitive enough and will flash off and on during welding.
    If you do a lot of MIG welding (hours per day) you will likely want a good helmet or add an extra 3X plate in front of the auto helmet IMO most auto's do not go dark enough and after a day of MIGing your eyes will hurt.

On another note I REALLY like the "OMNI" lense for welding clarity and Auto darks are green only, so I use the old Tiger hood most of the time.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hi all, I've just started "improving" my stick welder by converting it to tig capability, and one of the extras I've outlaid for is an auto darkening helmet. I bid for it on EBAY and got it. Just worried about the arc capacity when doing tig to keep the shades dark etc. as you have mentioned.
    I'll keep you informed as I'll try it out at a mate's workshop where he's a full time welder.
    The supplier is Oregon Tools and the model type is an ANSI.
    Ian.

I have an Autoglas helmet...Expensive :yes: and at work there is also a "cheap" one...Nobody can use a cheap one once they try a good one...But they cant use mine as i'll get angry as they dont respect the value of such things. I never put mine on any surface without a soft covering to prevent scratches which is probably why my 12yo helmet is in better condition than the firms 12month old one.
    Keith

More on helmets

I use an OPTREL SATELLITE OSE at work. www.optrel.com I like it alot. I do alot of mig & tig welding with it. What does everyone think of these helmets?

Also I have been interested in the Miller Elite Series helmets. Anyone have comments on these helmets as well. I am also looking for a place that has a good price on them. I don't care where it is. I like the larger vewing area they have and the controls are on the inside of the helmet not like the Optrel.

Brian

I used to use an optrel sattelite at work, I liked it. I own my own Jackson Nexgen, I love that hood. I wouldn't trade it for any other, not only for the quality, but also the customer service.

IN my opinion the speedglass (now owned by 3M) 9002x is the ultimate helment on the market, the viewing clarity is unbelievable, I highly recomend you at least try this helment. Brandon

Hi, just to relate a funny incident on the way to the forum. When the auto darkening lens helmets first came onto the market, a number of mates I used to meet with played a joke on one of the welders at their workplace.
    They took a standard flip up helmet and had it spray painted a bright yellow. Then they told the welder that it was the latest auto lens model and he could give it a try.
    He looked at the lens and commented that it was dark. No problem, they said, it's a solar type, and as soon as the arc strikes you can see through it.
    He gave it a go and came back 10 mins later, big smile. "work great", "'ow much you want it for?" He's Greek.
    Well after negotiating a price of A$50, because it was a sample model, (cost A$24 new), and a slab of beer, they left him to it.
    Only problem was the boss got to hear about it and decided to give it a go, he loved it too and wanted one so the welder gave it to him for A$75 and a slab of beer.
    Long story short, the story eventually got out due to the "lens" getting broke and as the replacement wasn't available a normal welding shade glass was fitted. The money was returned to both parties, but the beer was all gone and so it died a quiet death.
    Last time I heard of the "helmet" was, it was hanging from a rafter by a bit of string, as a warning to all jokers.
    Ian.

I use a Jackson helmet ALOT!! I have tried many others including speedglass which I promptly returned to the dist. Fortunately I have never had flashburn because if my Jackson. When new guys come in the shop I tell them it is realy the best on the market. You can get them "cheaper" but like many things in life you get what you pay for. The solar powered ones "go light" too quickly for me, especially when doing aluminum. because the tung. is still white hot for at least a couple seconds. When I was doing plate alum. I would use it on the max setting and max delay while using sunglasses to boot.Having a cuff of a glove around the front will keep a bit more light out.

John

Forget the "auto-darkening helmets" !

Get an "Accu-Strike" helmet, ( http://www.accustrike.com ). I had one, when I was welding at my last job. A lot of guys didn't like it, but I loved the helmet! You can swap out any shade lens, you want. You can adjust the sensitivity of the chin strap. You can get into tight areas (Under cars, etc...) You don't have to use your hands, or nod your head, to drop or raise the hood. You can also use it as face shield when working with a hand grinder.

I will never buy anything other than an accustrike!

Hi all,
    Im using a SIP 2000 and can't say a bad word about it but since it's my 1st welding helmet I don't have experience of other electronic ones. But I have used regular helmets, and especially for begineers I think the auto-darkening is much better. It makes learning so much easier when you can position your torch accurately before striking the arc.

It's €200 new but I got it on sale for €99.99 , so not sure if it's considered cheap or not! Anyway it is a name brand on this side of the water and can be adjusted up to shade 13. Also has the adjustments on the inside.

As someone new to welding, I'd say definately go with an auto helmet. But as with any tools, especially one thats important to your health, get a decent one, not a really cheap one.

I wanted the speedglas setup but couldn't afford it at the time and was lucky to find this one on sale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SIP2000.jpg  

We have the SIP at work.... £32 new.....viewing area is too small for my type of work and it's a little slow at darkening to be used for hours at a time...should be fine for occasional use. These helmets are like chinese milling machines....everyone puts their sticker on em @Handlewanker try painting the dark lens black for a few laughs
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    We have the SIP at work.... £32 new.....viewing area is too small for my type of work and it's a little slow at darkening to be used for hours at a time...should be fine for occasional use. These helmets are like chinese milling machines....everyone puts their sticker on em @Handlewanker try painting the dark lens black for a few laughs
    Argh! Maybe I was ripped off! Well I guess I'll know better when I have more experience.

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid View Post
    Argh! Maybe I was ripped off! Well I guess I'll know better when I have more experience.
    You shouldnt feel bad mine cost me £175 when my 6'2" son was in nappies now it's obsolete I have to cut down sheets of lexan to replace the clear viewglass as they dont even sell em anymore....If we learn one thing a day we're doing ok....I wonder what i'll learn today :shrug:
    Keith