585,927 active members*
3,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone have a MaxNC?

Howdy all,

I've decided it's time to go with a CNC Mill. I need to get something before the year ends in order for a nice tax write off.

Initially I was set on a Taig with the 4th axis; howeve, last night I came across the MAXNC 10 CL-EC and it looks very nifty.

Does anyone have one of these machines or another MaxNC?
    How do they rate as far as up against the Taig?

I'm primarily looking to do engraving work on plastic and aluminum as well as create some small mill logic wooden boxes and eventually get into the more advance milling of aluminum and delrin.

Please let me know your thoughts (likes and dislikes).

If you recommend one, do you suggest I buy directly from the manufacturer?

Thanks a bunch!

-Ed
    nosplinters.com

I started out with a MaxNC. I was thrilled to be able to cut a pattern from my Rhino files, and the Max allowed me to do that, in soft woods and wax. But when I got better at this, and more demanding of my machinery, the shortcomings of the MaxNC became plainer, especially when I got a Taig to compare it to. The differences aren't apparent in a web picture, but they add up, especially when you want to cut harder materials, like metal.

For example, the MaxNC, although it has anti-backlash nuts, ends up having considerable end play, due to the fact that there are no bearings holding the screws in place. The bearings in the motors have to do that, although they weren't designed for it. The stepper motors are hung onto the all-aluminum frame by only two screws, which allows for some flex that shouldn't be there. Soon after starting to use it, the thin layer of decorative blue anodizing wears away on the alumunum slides, and the raw aluminum starts to gall. The plastic anti-backlash nuts tend to break, and the 1/4" screws tend to bend in use. Expect about a month's worth of life out of the cheap Dayton spindle motor (mounted insecurely on a few spindly posts) before it burns up - and don't store anything flammable above it. The big selling point for the MaxNC CL was the closed loop stepper system, which shuts down the mill if it gets too far off course. But now that Taig has a better version of the same basic thing, and considering that the price is about the same, there's really no reason to buy a MaxNC, in my opinion. Of course it has its fans as well as detractors; maybe we'll hear from some of them in this thread.

There's no particular advantage to buying them from the manufacturer as opposed to an established dealer (Ebay buyers always have to be careful, though). I've heard MaxNC recently changed ownership, so their infamous customer support may have improved...

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thanks Andrew!

Exactly the info I was looking for. Considering I'm new to the whole CNC thing, I definitely don't want to deal with issues shortly down the road. Already been there with my laser.

Looks like the Taig 3000 with the rotary table will fit the bill. Now I need to toss together a business plan and I'll be good to go. Then there's the whole...tooling side of things.

Thanks again!
    -Ed
    nosplinters.com

Stay away from the MaxNC, I started with one too.

I second everything Andrew says and then some, the electronics are junk. The only people I see who can run them successfuly have pulled all the electronics off and done some mechanical mods as well.

I honestly can't see how they are still selling those mills when you can get a Taig for a similar amount of $. The Taig is stiffer, stronger and has a huge user base to turn to when you need help.

one of the emc developers has a maxnc 10

http://timeguy.com/cradek/cnc

He has done a lot to make it usable.

sam

I have a maxnc 15 open loop and have had it for many years. The first handful of years were full of disasters. Electronics blew out twice. Bsa nuts.... all I can say is dont crash the machine even a little. Things bend and break! Motor and spindle pulleys were not aligned from the factory and it chewed up some belts. I was green when I first bought mine. It "Looked" like a great machine on paper. Now Im blue...... (PUN INTENDED) Wish I would have gotten the taig. While I probably have a more functional machine for what I do. Its limitations are very operant. I have a thread on here about the long road My Max and I have been down.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I started out with a MaxNC.
    I also started out with a MAX-NC 5. I use it for making PCB's. But it would be too light weight to do and actual milling work.

This is the machine that uses the Dremel router motor for the spindle. I haven't had any problems with my MAX-NC 5, but I think that it's mainly due to the fact that I don't have the stock spindle drive that comes with the MAX-NC 10 & 15 machines.

For making printed it works just fine.

Wanting to do light milling work with Aluminium and plastic, I recently purchased (February 2006) a Sherline 2000. I ordered the machine NC ready and built my own control using Gecko Drive stepper motor drives and Automation Direct 270 Oz/in stepper motors. I also purchased the Mach3 license and use it to run the Sherline 2000. This setup does an excellent job for me.

I don't think I would recommend purchasing a MAX-NC as, during the 3 or 4 years that I received forum e-mail notifications from the MAX-NC forum, I was amazed with how MAX-NC stayed in business. From what I saw, the support was next to non-existent, parts were hard in coming and, warranty support was usually put back onto the purchaser of the machine.

I have ordered spare parts from Sherline but have yet to use them. I don't use my Sherline 2000 day in and day out like many - I use it about once a week. But the Sherline 2000 performs admirably.

I would recommend the Sherline 5400 or 2000 to anyone wanting to get into small light machining.

I know this post comes a little late, but maybe it will provide another prospective, especially if you haven't yet made a purchasing decision on a machine yet.

EDIT:
    Corrected spelling and grammar errors.

Carl W. Livingston, KC5OTL

Microcarl, I was just looking at this post yesterday.
    I was hoping someone would make a comment like yours. it was a great read.
    also sending you a PM.

Hello to all. wow hopefull I didnt wasted $3000.00 dollars on a maxnc15.I have been using my max for about 2 years now doing really light work.Cutting balsa wood with no issues but now I need something more aggressive,Like Aluminum,to make some molds. s the taig the better set up or is there some mods I can do to the maxnc to get her there.

Well, based on the information provide (Thank you!), I went ahead and order a Taig 2019CR - CNC ready mill and the Xylotex 4th axis controller. I hope to have things up and running by the end of January.

Thanks again for all the great feedback and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

-Ed

I'm sure you'll be happy with it, they're nice little mills.

Rossrods, Im glad to hear you've been running your MaxNC successfully, you could try cutting some AL with it, I did with mine in it's stock state with marginal success.

Get your gibs as tight as you can and still have them slide and take very light cuts and you might get away with it OK. MaxNC's are not very tight and kind of flexy, which is a problem when under load.

The other option if you want to cut AL with regularity is have someone else do it on a bigger mill, or ebay the MaxNC and get a Taig or something stouter.

Ok I am in the market for something stronger to do mold work. Started looking at the x3 with all the aftermarket part and hop ups. Looks like turn key is around 3900.00. My question is can you compare the modified x3 to the Taig.When I say do mold work I mean in aluminum material.So if you had to choose which direction would you go.

The X3 is about twice the mill as the Taig, twice as big, twice the working envelope and 3 times the weight,. If you need that capability, or think you might eventually, then it might be the way to go. A bigger, stronger mill can make larger, deeper cuts which will cut down the working time.

A little overkill for balsa though, LOL.

The X3 seems like the better made of the X line of mills, at least I see less complaining about and extensive modding of it in these forums.