585,687 active members*
4,700 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > I have downloaded them all, now which one?

I have downloaded them all, now which one?

I have downloaded
    Mach2
    bobcad
    onecnc
    visual mill
    Mastercam
    ramsgold

What I want is 4 axis milling that works with G320's and can show me what the stock will look like after applying the g-code.
    The one thing all these programs have in common is a sales rep call you right after you downloaded it to see how you like it.
    What is everyone using?

Mastercam has a downloadable demo?
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It is not a demo, I tried it out at a friends machine shop. A bit out of my price range.

Have you tried them all on parts you're going to be making? That would be the best indication to what will work for you. You might consider having a rep from each competitor come out and program one of your parts and run it on your machine. That will tell you several things, and will be very valuable in making your decision.

Personally, I've used Bobcad, good for the price, Visual Mill, also good for the price and Mastercam, pricey but more than capable.

I've heard good things about OneCNC but haven't tried it, (yet), seems good for the money, and Mach2 also looks good for the price.

I've never heard of Ramsgold.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Visual mill so far has been my favorite. Rams gold is from Cimigraph (sp) it is being bundled with the maxnc by www.positiveflow.com

Bobcad looks good, as well. What im partially baseing my decision on is how many people use it. I tend to lean toward popularity rather than price. I guess when I get my stuff from camtronics and hook it all up I can try each one with the same part.

I'll check out Ramsgold. (I love trying new stuff.. )

If you're interested in the most widely used, then Mastercam is "The most preferred" (according to CIMdata, Inc. ), they've got THE largest market share of any other CAD/CAM software, and very good support. Bobcad is also widely known now, and also offers good support with a host of knowledgable members here to help you. I can't attest to the others, but I'm sure some of them will chime in with some good opinions as well.

It's good that you're doing your homework. There's a lot to choose from out there, and surely one of them will suit your needs well.

Good luck in your decision.
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)