584,879 active members*
5,410 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to change datum position on imported file

How to change datum position on imported file

When I import files the reference point on the drawing can be anywhere. Let's say I want the center of a hole to be my x/y zero point but in my imported file it is x 94.6235 and y 118.5087. How to I move the drawing so that it reflects my new position?

Joe

Use the translate feature. You can move and even make copies if needed.

"Use the translate feature. You can move and even make copies if needed."

Okay, can you please explain to me how to do this?

Joe

What version? It makes a difference where it is located but not really on how to use it.

Have you been on Sorin's sight yet? He has some free videos that may help as well.

www.cadcamtrainer.com/forums/index.php

Once you join and log in you will see the links at the top of the forum to the videos.

tjones,

I am using V22. I tried Sorin's videos but I can't get them to work on my machine. Are his videos available on CD? If anyone can give me a short explanation on how the translate feature works I am quite sure I can figure this thing out.

Joe

To be simple do this:

1) Menu - Utilities>Translate
    2) Left click to select features to move then right click the feature and select the 'OK' from the popup menu
    3) enter amount to move object in the 'end' window
    4) click the OK button

Also remember to look at the bottom left corner of the screen for prompts on what to do.

By the Bobcad Manual here. (I like mine better)
    Code:
    Utilities-Translate
    Purpose: To move geometry linearly (in straight lines) within the Workspace and/or change the scale of geometry.

Use: The selectable entity types for this function are Points, Lines, Arcs, Splines, Surfaces, Solids and Text.  Following is a Step-by-Step Procedure:

Left Click on the Translate icon in the Util Toolbar or select the Translate option from the Utilities menu. 
    Input Values into the Data-CAM Tree Manager: 
    Delta, when this option is selected the End fields will become available for user inputs.  This allows the user to move the selected geometry a specific distance in X, Y and Z. 
    Sketch/Enter, when this option is selected the Start and End fields will become available for user input.  This option allows the user to specify the Beginning and End of the movement that will occur by inputting values into the Start and End field, or by selecting screen positions to determine the Start and End positions. 
    Drag, when this option is selected the Start and End field will not be available for user input.  This allows the user to move the selected geometry to an arbitrary location within the Workspace. 
    Reselect, this button allows the user to select new geometry for the Translate operation. 
    Scale, when this option is selected the Scale field will become available for user input.  The value input into this field represents the size of the resulting entities. (i.e. 0.5 will result in geometry that is half the size of the original) 
    Copy, when this button is selected the Copy field will become available for user input.  The value input into this field represents the total number of duplicate shapes that will be created. 
    Start 
    Pick, when this option is selected the X, Y and Z fields will be grayed out.  The user then uses selection locations within the Workspace to define reference positions. 
    Enter, when this option is selected the X, Y and Z input fields will be available for user input.  The user may then enter the values needed for this operation into the X, Y and Z fields. 
    End 
    Pick, when this option is selected the X, Y and Z fields will be grayed out.  The user then uses selection locations within the Workspace to define reference positions. 
    Enter, when this option is selected the X, Y and Z input fields will be available for user input.  The user may then enter the values needed for this operation into the X, Y and Z fields. 
    Left Click OK in the Data-CAM Tree Manager. 
    Left Click on the entities that are to be moved or scaled to select them. 
    Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click on OK. 
    Left Click on OK in the Data-CAM Tree Manager. 
    The entities are moved. 
    The user may then: 
    Left Click on the Reselect button to select new geometry to move. 
    Steps 2-8 may be repeated any number of times. 
    To end this function Left Click on Cancel in the Data-CAM Tree Manager or Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click on Cancel in the pop-up menu. 

Example (Delta):

Open a New Workspace.

Left Click on the Rectangle icon on the Other Toolbar or select the Rectangle option from the Other menu.

Input 2.0 for the Width and 2.0 for the Height. 

In the Corner Type field select the Sharp Corner option.

In the Origin field select the Enter option and Bottom Right.

Input -1.0 for the X, 1.0 for the Y, 0.0 for the Z and Left Click OK.

A Rectangle is created in the upper Left hand quadrant of the Workspace.

Next Left Click on the Translate icon on the Util Toolbar or select the Translate option from the Utilities menu.

The Data-CAM Tree Manager will be populated with fields for user input.

The prompt line reads: "Left Click the entities OR Left mouse Window Entities to be translated, then Right Click OK.".

In the Data-CAM Tree Manager select the Delta option and the Copy option.

Input 1 in the field to the right of the Copy button.

In the End field input 4.0 for the X and 0.0 for the Y and Z.

Then, Holding the Left mouse button down, drag a box around the Rectangle to select it.

Next Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click OK.

Then Left Click OK in the Data-CAM Tree Manager.

A new Rectangle will be created in the upper right hand quadrant.

Next in the End field input 0.0 for X, -4.0 for Y and 0.0 for Z.

Then Left Click OK.

There is now a Rectangle in all four quadrants. 
    To end this function Left Click Cancel in the Data-CAM Tree Manager or Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click on Cancel in the pop-up menu.

Example (Sketch/Enter):

Open a New Workspace.

Left Click on the Rectangle icon on the Other Toolbar or select the Rectangle option from the Other menu.

Input 2.0 for the Width and 2.0 for the Height. 

In the Corner Type field select the Sharp Corner option.

In the Origin field select the Enter option and Bottom Right.

Input -1.0 for the X, 1.0 for the Y, 0.0 for the Z and Left Click OK.

A Rectangle is created in the upper Left hand quadrant of the Workspace.

Next Left Click on the Translate icon on the Util Toolbar or select the Translate option from the Utilities menu.

The Data-CAM Tree Manager will be populated with fields for user input.

The prompt line reads: "Left Click the entities OR Left mouse Window Entities to be translated, then Right Click OK.".

In the Data-CAM Tree Manager select the Sketch/Enter option and the Copy option.

Input 1 in the field to the right of the Copy button.

In the Start field Left Click on the Enter option and input -2.0 for the X, 2.0 for the Y and 0.0 for the Z.

In the End field input 2.0 for the X and 2.0 for the Y and 0.0 for the Z.

Then, Holding the Left mouse button down, drag a box around the Rectangle to select it.

Next Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click OK.

Then Left Click OK in the Data-CAM Tree Manager.

A new Rectangle will be created in the upper right hand quadrant.

Next in the End field input -2.0 for X, -2.0 for Y and 0.0 for Z.

Then Left Click OK.

There is now a Rectangle in all four quadrants. 
    To end this function Left Click Cancel in the Data-CAM Tree Manager or Right Click in the Workspace and Left Click on Cancel in the pop-up menu.

tj,

Ok thanks. That's helpful. I can't see the bottom left corner of my screen. It is hidden by my bottom toolbar. How do I change that?

Joe

In the upper right corner of the window you see 3 buttons. The center button will maximize the Bobcad window to fit your scrren.