585,589 active members*
2,752 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Tiling large signs?

Tiling large signs?

I searched but didn't find anything about this.

I was wondering if it's possible to split the gcode into tiles, so that a long sign can be made on a small router? What I mean is that if my router has 24x24 travel and I want to make a sign that's 48x24, is there anyway to split the sign vertically into 2 separate programs? I would run the first program, then index the workpiece 24", then run the 2nd program to finish the sign.

If VCarve can't do this directly, does anyone know of a utility or method that can do this?

Thanks,
    Paul

Hello Paul,

VCarve Pro doesn't include an auto-panelling option.

We do have customers who have split large designs into smaller machinable projects by using the Weld and Node Editing Tools in VCarve Pro. By drawing rectangles the size that can be machined over the top of a large design and using the Weld Merge and Subtract tools.

The Layers control helps with this process, and I would place a copy of the complete design on each layer along with a rectangle for each segment. Then edit the design to leave each smaller segment on each layer.

This sounds tricky, but with practice it can be done quite quickly.

I hope this makes sense and helps,

Tony

Thanks Tony, your support is excellent.

Nice to know that there are workarounds to this, just some extra work. That should work fine with pure vectors, but probably not so much with carving toolpaths. I suppose if the sign was to have carving in each panel, then a separate file just for the carving could be created for each panel. If they all overlap slightly, then it should look OK?

Is there any plan to add this type of feature in the future?

Hi Paul,

Good point - I was thinking just conventional pocketing and profiling etc. but 3D carving toolpaths would need to be split in a totally different way. The vectors for VCarved / Engraved regions would also need editing to extend the area to allow the cutter to machine past the boundary to ensure the adjacent panel matches correctly.

Auto-Panelling has been requested but I have to be honest and say it's not very high priority on the development list

Tony

Ok, I repect the fact that it's not high on the list, but not everyone has 4'x8' routers, and most smaller (ganty style) routers are not limited to material size in one of the x-y axis'. It might be a nice selling point...

Another way I would use this feature is to have similar style accents (corners, flourishes, ect) in the same file, then just pick the area I want to cut out, set the origin, then generate the g-code.

Anyways, thanks for the tips.

Paul

V carve Pro 6 and aspire now have this very thing in their new program $ 400.00 about
    I am looking into it still thinking.
    Klaas