584,833 active members*
5,386 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Your preference of CAD?

Voters
819. You may not vote on this poll
  • AutoCAD

193 23.57%
  • Solidworks

249 30.40%
  • Rhino

63 7.69%
  • Alibre

60 7.33%
  • Other??

254 31.01%
Page 6 of 6 456
    Quote Originally Posted by E_T View Post
    Surprised to see Rhino so low, It seems to be quite popular here in NZ (although i do come from a heavy design background)
    I bought a Rhino license to do all the things solidworks can't do (like export 3D DXF and file conversion). But as modelling software I cannot get my head around it. It's just too different to parametric engineering software.

I also know product designers who love Rhino.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I bought a Rhino license to do all the things solidworks can't do (like export 3D DXF and file conversion). But as modelling software I cannot get my head around it. It's just too different to parametric engineering software.

I also know product designers who love Rhino.
    That being said, I do have a fairly biased view towards the program, seems to be the mainstream program taught around our department so I/we don't know anything other.

Worked as a design intern locally over the last two summers where many of the student from overseas coming through had the same comments and mindset about adjusting. Within a few weeks we had them converted...

Cad Program

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeRace View Post
    I really like ViaCAD 3D V8. Have been an AutoCAD user for years. But for 3D work I find ViaCAD very user friendly. Take a look at their web site to see all the 3D handling, is really very nice. With a coupon I found on the web, My final cost as only $60 for the full package, which included a DVD.
    George
    I have been using (2D/3D) ViaCad Pro Ver. 7, and still need to learn much more.
    The program has additional 3D capabilities, and they are presently running a price discount. This is the "big brother" to ViaCad 3d V8.

Info is at:
    Home Design Software for PC and Mac | Interior Design and Landscape Design | Punch! Software

The special pricing offer is at:
    News and Announcements - Punch! Cad Forums

Also, I am presently evaluating a (30-day trial) CAM program called "DeskProto". It will do continuous 4th axis milling, which is what I wish to accomplish.

Page 6 of 6 456