585,753 active members*
4,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Okuma OSP700M

Hello Folks,

The shop I work in recently acquired an Okuma mill to replace our Cincinnati Milacron Sabre 500. Haven't had any traing on the machine but starting to get down pretty good until I've run into a glitch. I write G-code using Esprit software which can make a long program. Loaded a program one night, no problems. Come in the next night, Had to reload the program with the MD1: file section empty and it alarmed devive full. According to the machine there are no files there and it took the exact same program the night before. When I run a FREE diagnostic on MD1:. It says I only have 48/$0030 Sectors available and 12096 Bytes of space left. Can anyone help? The old Sabre 500 would hold 10,000 lines if program and the Okuma is twice the machine. Thanks if you can help.

Have come across this problem a couple of times in the past.
    For some reason, the program has loaded into memory but has not had the correct termination command and thus has not correctly saved the file, enabling you to see the file in memory.
    THe only way around this is to use the "Init" function.
    Goto "Edit" mode and select the "Init" function button, should be on the next screen.
    You will be asked to confirm this by pressing either Y/N. press Y and all should be reset on the memory.
    BE AWARE THAT DOING THIS WILL WIPE ANY PROGRAMS STORED IN MEMORY!
    But from what you are saying, you have no programs stored in memory anyway.
    Have a look in your program file and look for a % sign at the end of file.
    On our OSP5020M machining centre we need a % sign at the end of file.
    the first line of the file contains the on machine filename... as compared to the filename on the PC.
    i.e.
    $PROGRAM1.MIN%
    N100 ...
    N102 ETC
    %

Hope this helps.
    Brian.

Thanks Brain, I'll give it a try.

Marty

Quote Originally Posted by marty kincaid View Post
    Hello Folks,

The shop I work in recently acquired an Okuma mill to replace our Cincinnati Milacron Sabre 500. Haven't had any traing on the machine but starting to get down pretty good until I've run into a glitch. I write G-code using Esprit software which can make a long program. Loaded a program one night, no problems. Come in the next night, Had to reload the program with the MD1: file section empty and it alarmed devive full. According to the machine there are no files there and it took the exact same program the night before. When I run a FREE diagnostic on MD1:. It says I only have 48/$0030 Sectors available and 12096 Bytes of space left. Can anyone help? The old Sabre 500 would hold 10,000 lines if program and the Okuma is twice the machine. Thanks if you can help.
    hi marty kincaid

i been working for a lot years with okuma machine especially with the control osp700m and i found those machine it does not have a lot of memory so every time when i have to run a big program on the machine i have to use the predator cnc software and conect my computer direct with the machine using a cable with the COM port

Hi Luis,
    Thnks for the response, do you mean easyDNCxp software? When I did a internet search, that's what came up. I downloaded their free trial version, did you have a cable made to their DTE cable spec.s? Also, how many parameters did you have to change? Thanks for any help!
    Marty K

Quote Originally Posted by marty kincaid View Post
    Hi Luis,
    Thnks for the response, do you mean easyDNCxp software? When I did a internet search, that's what came up. I downloaded their free trial version, did you have a cable made to their DTE cable spec.s? Also, how many parameters did you have to change? Thanks for any help!
    Marty K
    hi again.

the software it's call Predator and this is the link [URL="http://www.predator-software.com/Predator_CNC_Editor_Software.htm"[/URL]
    i sugest if you want call them and tell them do you need a software for edit and tranfer the file form the computer to the machine, with the cable let me try to find a digram with the configuration because i don't remenber exactly how do it.

Try this (for XON/XOFF handshaking):

Okuma ----------------------------- PC
    DB25 ------------------------------ DB9
    2 ---------------------------------- 2
    3 ---------------------------------- 3
    4-5 (jumper Okuma end only)
    7 ---------------------------------- 5
    6-8-20 (jumper Okuma end only)

ATC problems

Thanks Dcoupar, now, unfortunately, for my next question: ATC sequence problem on this OSP700M Cadet Mate. Doing a manual tool return with no next tool, the ATC comes into position to accept the tool, the spindle unclamps the tool, and then the spindle refuses to retract to the (HP2) out of the way position so that the ATC can retract. Anyone have any solutions for a problem like this? I've completely powered down the machine hoping I could clear some underlying fault but that didn't help. I've unclamped the tool and manually put it in the ATC and then tried to call up a different ntool but it won't forget the tool that it had in the spindle. I've even tried to run the program in place with the tool in question but the program just blinks on the auto screen and nothing happens even though that is the tool that is needed in the program. There's a system reset button in the main panel enclosure, will this reset the system without any ill effects? Thanks for any help you guys can give. Marty