586,005 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Broken spindle motor shaft ;(

Broken spindle motor shaft ;(

Well something bad happened today, after running for about 10 hours straight my spindle motor shaft snapped off while cutting some delrin parts. Not upset considering this machine has seen daily uses since i got it early summer.

kinda surprised that a solid steel shaft would brake like this must be a material flaw, wasn't a heavy load on it or anything.

Here are the pixs...

I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Kind of timely... I suppose. Glad I sent back the motor and pulley back to you Richard :P

You can tell by the coloring that there are old and new cracks. Darker is an older crack, and the lighter is the new. It has been breaking for a long time. This is a good example of why you dont use sharp pointed tooling at steps on shafts. You want a radiused tool even if it is a small radius, in order to releave the stress risers from a sharp corner. Add high RPMs and an out of balance pulley and this is the end result.

Pulled

Well i pulled the motor today, it went a lot easier and quicker than i expected was very straight forward.

I took picture of all the wire connections so i could reassemble it without fear of miswiring.

I'll contact Syil tomarrow and ship the motor back and see what they have to say.
    I don't give a damn if you don't like me, cause i don't like you cause you are not like me.

Parts came today. I have to credit Syil...they had the parts in the mail the day i called.

Hope to reassemble it tonight.