585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Partner 1, Centurion 5 upgrade problem

Partner 1, Centurion 5 upgrade problem

We have been upgrading my Partner 1 (Centurion 5) to a more modern computer with flash memory and USB connections for better file swapping but have hit a rather odd snag. Everything looks to be working great until we plug in the machines front keyboard connection and then nothing works as far as the control panel. Unplug it and plug a keyboard directly into the new PC and it works fine again. The problem with that though is the resets and other controls needed for machine operation are not accessible. The last line of the Centurian 5 boot up shows a message of "Bad V" where it would normally be initializing the front panel. I found a google link to a similar question having been discussed on CNC Zone but cannot find it in the archives via a search. Can anyone help in this matter?

Normally Milltronics has been of pretty good help but in this case they have been none.

Regards...
    Bob

(ooops)
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

I have the same mill and controller and about ten years ago if I remember correctly I found there were certain key combinations you could use on the keyboard to run ALL of those buttons... I don't remember what they were or how I figured it out but it might give you an idea or a place to start so I hope that tidbit of info helps! Let us know how it goes and I'll try to remember more tonight if I can...

Thanks AMCjeepCJ and I'll spend some time tonight playing with different combos to see. I wonder if anyone has a list? Most of the keys are function keys that I already knew could also be done via the direct keyboard but reset from the error state eludes me on the keyboard and the machine does NOTHING until reset after boot up.

The rest of the upgrade has been easy and not high dollar so when I get past this issue I'll be happy to hook other owners of this model up.

I distinctly remember not ever finding a keyboard shortcut for RESET but try alt F6 and alt F8 for something or another (cycle start?!) when you try to run the program... I just remembered those two... If I remember correctly, I'd unplug the keyboard to reset the drives and then plug her back in, what a useless hassle!!! Hope that helped~

Our mill took a crap so I'd be EXTREMELY interested in how you did it... I ended up buying a brand new VM-22 in 05 to replace it... The old one is still sitting here but I don't want to dump anymore money into it until I know we can get away from the proprietary crap in the back cabinet, it keeps breaking on us!!

God luck bro~

Here is a link to the thread if you never found it.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/archiv...p/t-41035.html

We never did hear an update as to what the problem was. Maybe I missed it......in another thread.

DC

I had seen that One Of many but in that string there was this

"jpawelk
    08-03-2007, 06:23 AM
    Corrupt parameters has nothing to do with the Bad V error upon boot up. Please refer to an earlier thread that I have posted as to what the problem may be."

and look as i could I found no previous thread on it.

I had bought another machine for parts and have all kinds of extra boards etc stored if I find that to be the problem but the machine was working just perfect prior to the upgrade so its hard to believe a board suddenly went bad.

Regards...

Look up JPAWELK's profile and run a search ONLY on his posts... That should make it super easy to find, just click on his name for starters and it should take you to the proper page!

PS

He works for Milltronics~

On second thought, I'll save you the trouble...

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/search...archid=1764166

This is page 1 of 2 for a listing of his posts~

Quote Originally Posted by AMCjeepCJ View Post
    Look up JPAWELK's profile and run a search ONLY on his posts... That should make it super easy to find, just click on his name for starters and it should take you to the proper page!
    Thanks... I looked at all his posts and only the one previously linked to above mentions the Bad V error. Maybe its an archived file not now accessible?
    When I called Milltronics I noticed some changes since the last time I had called them for some parts. When I had needed help with a servo issue they were a great source of help and service. VERY refreshing in this day and age! Now the young man taking care of me pretty much said they don't keep many records going back to the machine and had no idea what I should do or whom to talk to. Thats not the Milltronics of the past... I'm convinced it has to be something simple!

Regards...

I think he was refering to his previous post, not thread.........as a guess;

To QUOTE=Jpawelk: A "BAD V" error upon boot up could be a few things. The parameter "serial keyboard" may be set to yes. Make sure it is set to no. This is a power parameter. Secondly, The keyboard encoder card is bad. Thirdly, you may be missing the 12VDC at the front panel. Many times replacing the keyboard encoder card solves the problem.

I suspect there may be something related to voltage missing or low. All you can do is check the above out.

DC

Hi,
    I just finished up with a 2 week problem with my partner 1 , was getting bad keepboard errors , axis's not moving right , ect.. . Turn's out my x servo cable had a short in it and was messing with voltages.

Brian