585,883 active members*
5,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Engraving Machines > How to make dial indicator face? Technique? Etch/Engrave/Silk Screen/laser?

How to make dial indicator face? Technique? Etch/Engrave/Silk Screen/laser?

I'm working on a compass design that requires a 360 degree series of lines and numbers to be engraved/etched/???

I see this on a lot of dial indicators, etc.. What technology is actually be used to make precision lines and numbers on the faces of dial indicators? Ideally a black background with white text would be very easy to read. I'm just not quite sure what technique is being employed.

cheers,
    Paul

engraving small

Ok.. so I think I've discovered how it is done... The only thing I'm not sure is whether it is possible or not on a Haas VF-2.

Use an engraving bit 30 degree with a 0.001" tip

The total diameter of the dial is 3/4".. So the indicating lines are 0.006" apart with a 0.002" line width.. does this seem feasible and particularly on a vf-2?

cheers,
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    I had a similar problem a few years ago and ended up etching it using a photo resist.
    I contacted a company that etched circuit boards for info on which resist to use.
    There is a forum here, I think, about DIY circuit board making.
    Like laser marking etching applies no physical force to the workpiece which could be a factor if you are using thin material.
    regards Max

Quote Originally Posted by maxbela View Post
    Hi Paul,
    I had a similar problem a few years ago and ended up etching it using a photo resist.
    I contacted a company that etched circuit boards for info on which resist to use.
    There is a forum here, I think, about DIY circuit board making.
    Like laser marking etching applies no physical force to the workpiece which could be a factor if you are using thin material.
    regards Max
    That's one option I had considered... Did you have someone make a plate mask with the fine details and just did the exposure and etching yourself?

cheers,
    Paul

compass dial

I looked up the Haas VF2 and I would guess there isnt much you cant do with it. For this I would cut a 5 or 10 to 1 master pattern with all the lines and letters, and find a trophy engraver that has a small diamond drag pantograph. They probably already have a cnc panto graph that will do the same thing. Find some black anodized aluminum blanks and your there. New Hermes is a good source. Good luck. LL.

That's one option I had considered... Did you have someone make a plate mask with the fine details and just did the exposure and etching yourself?

Basically yes. I drew it up about 20 times size, had it photographed and reduced to give me a mask, exposed it using a vacuum frame.
    regards Max

Update

Thanks for all the input... I've got some engraving bits on the way (found at Bits & Bits) and will try engraving with these on some sample pieces to see what the results look like.. I'll try go get some pictures posted to give an idea of what it looks like.. If it doesn't work out I will go the etching route.

cheers,
    Paul