585,722 active members*
4,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 5 of 7 34567
    Quote Originally Posted by Apples
    Damo,

I have a hypertherm powermax 1000 with the machine torch for the cutting table. I can cut anywhere on the sheet of steel up to 10mm. Anything else I have to do an edge start or drill a hole. If I do an edge start hypertherm have a reccomended cut capacity of 19mm, with a maximum of 25mm.

I think that if I end up cutting much steel over 1/2" or 12.5mm I will rig up an oxy. This has a straight cut regardless of the thickness of the steel being cut.

Cheers

Peter
    I bet the Hypertherm cost you a packet!

Sorry if this is a bit OT but I have been trying to track down a machine torch for my oxy/acet setup. Any idea where I can get one from without having to sell one of my kidneys???

Damo.
    Damen Stevens
    Brisbane, Australia.
    "Measure, then cut, then swear, then measure & cut again"

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13958

Quote Originally Posted by Metalfab_101
    I bet the Hypertherm cost you a packet!

Sorry if this is a bit OT but I have been trying to track down a machine torch for my oxy/acet setup. Any idea where I can get one from without having to sell one of my kidneys???

Damo.

Tell me about it. I was looking into getting a machine torch for my brothers ESAB Plasma thinking it would be $300-$400 but they want $1000+ for an ESAB and about $800.00 for a Thermal Dynamics one that would fit the ESAB . Hell he only paid about $2000 for the whole machine. Guess I am going to just design the CNC Table to hold the regurlar hand torch.

B.Kidd

This, too, may be a bit off topic. Maybe a new thread is in order, but why are machine torches so expensive?

From what I know, which isn't much, the fundamental difference is the way the gas is controlled. I believe the straight tip is fairly minor, and maybe somebody makes a straight tip that will attach to a hand-held. On that note, does anybody know of a manufacturer why makes a straight tip for a hand-held Victor type torch?

Dave

get 180 degree head torch on ebay.. i got mine for 100 or less

and then what im going to do is simlar to http://www.cnconabudget.com/torch.html

but not using regular hand torch since it would be bulky.. rather it straight up

there is picture of that torch but thats bad one but im sure u get the idea
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pic1.jpg  

Major help needed to finish off cnc table. Lots of pics.

Hi all,

I have to say, thanks for all the help so far.

I am in need of some help to finish of the machine. All the details can be found here.

http://plasmatable.bravehost.com/

Cheers

Peter
    (Australia)

Peter,

Thanks for all the photos! I enjoy watching these projects progress. (It's good to know that somebody is making progress.)

Forgive my ignorance, but I was wondering why the slats in the table top are woven through the supports instead of being straight?

Dave

If the slats are straight and you cut a straight line directly over one, you weld your work to the slat.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Thanks. I knew there was a reason.

Dave

Hey, what if you needed to cut out an ocean scene with gentle waves that matched your slats? LOL :wave:

Dave

Well I have tried to upload 4 movies to my site. To better help explain the low speed noise. I have a fast one there at 2000ipm or 50,800mm/min, making a circle.

Unfortunatly I have to pay money to upload movie files to this site. So If anyone was interested in the videos see what you want and I can email them to you.

Cheers

Peter

P.s. Bought some bearings today to make belt reduction setup!

Have top order timing belts and pullys now.

Cheers

Peter
    (Australia)

Peter, I would definitely be interested in videos you have. It helps to give me ideas for my design. Looking back through some of your previous posts, it looks like you went through several revisions on your gantry. Interesting to watch the progress.

Dave
    [email protected]

Well well well,

I made a timing belt reduction. I used 28 tooth and a 72 tooth pulleys which gave me about 2:57 to 1 reduction.

This made a slight difference to the vibrations/resonance that I was getting.

Found out that with the Gecko's there is a 'low speed trimpot screw'. Basically all you do is run the machine then turn the screw untill the thing goes quiet.
    The screw is located at the back of the gecko, opposite where all the wires hook up.

I have also done my fist cut/s with the setup.

I have only just been using the remote starting pendant that you turn on with the flick of a switch.

Cuts are very slaggy underneath. I just wanted to see if anything would happen with the plasma setup.

Now I have to work out how to hook up the remote start to the breakout boad and turn it on via the computer.

Apples

Peter
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Plasmacut 2.JPG   Plasmacut 3.JPG   Plasmacut 4.JPG   Plasmacut 5.JPG  

Plasmacut 1.JPG  

Peter
    Congratulations!!!
    It must feel great to make those first cuts after several months of work.
    When you get to faster travel speeds the slag may be reduced.
    WT

Make sure the air pressure is set on the high side, crank up the current, make sure the torch is square, and go faster. If your torch is on the small side for the material: get a bigger torch, cut thinner material, or live with the slag.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

Done some more testing in the shed.

I was cutting those parts at 40 amps. So I wound it up the the maximum of 60amps and upped the feed speed. These new cuts came out pretty good.

When it turns a corner the corner is not very sharp, like the torch needs to stop ther for say 1/4 of a second.

Is this possible to program into Mach3?

Peter

G4 is a dwell command. You can spec how ever long you want it to pause.

You will need to research what letter Mach needs with the G4, some machines use F, etc. I forget what Mach uses.

Pics

Well it has been a while since I last posted.

Here is an update.

I need to find a way of supporting the wires that go to the motors. I think that I could just hang them from the roof and let them dangle down. I might have to make somthing up though.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shed_wires.jpg   torch_holder.jpg   example part cut.JPG  

Peter
    To support your cables one method would be a post about 4 ft up from a corner of the table (or centre of one side) with an arm from top of post extending over the middle of the table.
    Wires could hang from the end of the arm.
    Nice photo of the bracket in the hand.

Weldtutor,

I have thought about ways of doing it, and that way probably seems the best way to do it. Like when you go to "Carlovers" and was your car by hand. The hoses come down from the roof via an arm. The arm can spin 360.

So I might have to do this, and put a bearing at the piviot point so that the arm can swing left and right a little.

Peter
    Australia

Plasma cut picture of plasma cutting!

This is 1.5mm gal, steel.

Peter
    Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03185.JPG  

Page 5 of 7 34567