585,752 active members*
3,712 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Hi speed inserts for stainless steel

Hi speed inserts for stainless steel

Hi,

We machine a LOT of 300 and 400 series stainless. We have a family of parts that we get every other month or so. The material starts out as 1" x 2" x 4", and we mill it down to about 1.950 wide, .950 thick, and the length is uncut. We are currently using a 2" Ingersoll Hi-Feed DEKA to rough the top, a 3" Seco QuattroMill to finish the top, and 1/2" Niagara Stabilizers to rough and finish the sides.
    What I am looking for is an inserted cutter that can handle high(er) feed rates, not beat the snot out of the machine, provide somewhat decent tool life, and be able to rough out the top AND the sides.
    The 2" Ingersoll Hi-Feed DEKA sucks. It a very negative insert, so it basicall beats the material off. We are running it at 25 IPM, with a depth of .03". Inserts last about 8 parts. The Seco does "okay" for finishing, but even still, those last only 25 parts or so.

What is out there that would help me improve my process? We are not really losing money on the job, but our customer has been pushing us to offer a lower price.....

Before buying a whole new cutter I would first try to find inserts made more for stainless,, a tougher grade, with a more positive angle, also I have found on stainless the TIN coating works better for nonferrous materials better that TiAN coating.