585,762 active members*
3,972 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

rolled 5/8 ball screw.200 pl

where to get good pricing on rolled 5/8 ball screw.200 pl
    i need some thing like 60-70 inchs long for my x axis

how do you boys grind the ends for bearing mounts?
    one option to get machined, looking cost down.

McMaster-Carr sells some ballscrews that size, but you would have to get someone to machine them for you. Homeshopcnc.com sells Nook ballscrews, and will do the machining for you if you provide drawings. I'm also in the hunt for understanding how to machine for bearings and such.

www.homeshopcnc.com has these at really good prices and modifies the ends for reasonable prices I've read. They advertise on this site too.

need answers

Quote Originally Posted by davereagan View Post
    www.homeshopcnc.com has these at really good prices and modifies the ends for reasonable prices I've read. They advertise on this site too.
    I looked at www.homeshopcnc.com the advertise Nook XPR Ballscrew Rod: .631 X .200 pitch... is .631 is a odd size or this a made to fit .625 being over sized for balls? I need .625 x .200pitch

I would never try to combine a ballscrew from one supplier and a ballnut from another. The pitch is the same, so in that sense, they are compatible. You can email them with any questions.

Dave

I've used those mc master screws.

be sure to support them with angular support bearings on both ends so you can crank down that rod given the length you are looking to get.

I got a lathe from harbor freight so I could machine them my self. The tail stock has a hole in mine so with support the end of the rod can hang through.

I'm not a big fan or very good at lathe work but I've been successful at turning 9 ends or so for bearings.. Think I did an ok job of it.

but if you are the drawing type then might be easier to have it done. I'm a build on the fly type thus need to do everything my self.

b/

Machining them is not too difficult if you have access to a decent lathe. If you do decide to machine them yourself be sure to first grind the hardened threads off before trying to machine using the lathe. Once you pass through the hardened layer, machining the ends down is no problem.

where to get good pricing on rolled 5/8 ball screw.200 pl
    http://www.roton.com/Mating_Componen...family=7059321

$10 per foot, $22 for a ballnut. They will cut to lenght you want and they shipped to me very fast.

Backlash

Lazyman,

What is the backlash of the Roton Ballscrew Product?

Thank You

Jeff Alessi
    [email protected]

I'd like to know if the quality is as good as the Nook ballscrews that HSCNC sells. There's a significant price difference, and I suspect that the Nooks are quite a bit better. If you compare the two, the thread geometry is radically different. The Roton seems to have an almost standard thread, while the Nook has a rounded thread. This tells me that the Rotons will have the ball bearings riding on two points, which will then wear more quickly than on a thread that is rounded like the Nooks. But that's only conjecture on my part.
    Anybody out there with experience on all this stuff?

What is the backlash of the Roton Ballscrew Product
    If memory serves, the screw has a lead error of .003"/foot and the ballnuts can have up to .006" of backlash. The nook ones from HomeShopCnc state a lead error of .001"/foot and have backlash up to .004". Assuming that these numbers are true the nook ones are clearly more accurate but I dont think they are of significantly greater quality. However if you really need the accuracy I would go for the nook ones.

I am going to use to ballnuts per axis and they will be preloded and backlass will be eliminated.

If you compare the two, the thread geometry is radically different
    The picture of the threads on the roton site is not exactly the same thread geometry of the actual threads. I have a set of 5/8 .200 screws and the threads look almost exactly like the nook ones. I cannot look at them closely to comfirm things at the moment as Im on vacation and dont have access to them. I can check and verify this in around a week.

Whats intesresting is that the 5/8 .200 screws are the cheaperst size roton sells. I have not a look at other sizes the prices are around $22/foot to $33/foot. I have no more faith in roton screws than I have in nook I personaly would not use rolled screws if you are trying to build an accurate machine especially with long travel. I only used the roton screws because they are quite an improvent over acme rod with preloaded nuts without a significant increase in cost.